NHL Breeze: Aug.31, Coyotes News, Guerin Heating Up, Kennedy a Ranger
Happy birthdays to:
NHL player born today:
- Matt Ellis, 29, Buffalo Sabres
- Ryan Kesler, 26, Vancouver Canucks
- Radek Martinek, 34, New York Islanders
- Scott Niedermayer, 37, multi-Norris winner, future Hall of Famer
- Ondrej Pavelec, 23, Atlanta Thrashers
- Blake Wheeler, 24, Boston Bruins
Today’s NHL news and notes:
- Report out of Arizona News that 2 anonymous groups are interested in buying the Coyotes besides Ice Edge. However, they only remain as viable options and the table is still set between Ice Edge, city of Glendale and the NHL.
- “There was a different side of the story. So I just try to make note of that. And if there’s some out there that think I’m full of crap, then whatever, that’s fine. I hope Burke and that organization have success, but I signed here in Vancouver and gear up for main camp and hopefully have a chance to make the team. If not, I’ll start in Manitoba and build my way up.” ~Bill Sweatt quote Aug.26, in Vancouver.
- I will have more in-depth coverage on Bill Sweatt coming up…
- Kyle Turris was disappointed to be sent down to play in San Antonio (AHL), but he admits he learned a lot. Ready to make a jump back in the NHL at 185lbs.
- Tim Kennedy found a team that wants him: New York Rangers. He signed a 1-way deal to stay with the big club.
- Lee Stempniak signed a 2-year deal worth 1.9mil a year. First year is 1.5mil, second year is 2.3mil. Big discount from his previous 3.5mil. Maybe he should have signed a 1-year deal.
- September is just around the corner and Islanders goalie Rick DiPietro is optimistic he has strengthened his knee to a point that he can return to old form this season. Still unsure when he will be back at full speed.
Thank you for participating.
Follow Joseph on Twitter.