Report:Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Victor Ortiz Set for September at Cowboys Stadium
Unbeaten boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. seems to have finally decided to return to the ring after more than a year off since he fought and won a unanimous decision over Shane Mosley last May.
He was recently stripped of his pound-for-pound ranking by Ring Magazine after failing to fight for one year.
Mayweather is reported to have agreed to face newly-crowned WBC welterweight champion Victor Ortiz on September 17 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
No details of the fight have been released but an announcement will be made in a press conference shortly, according to a report by Granville Ampong of Associated Content/Yahoo News.
GBP officials, who offered a few details on condition of anonymity, said they will divulge the specifics of the fight and will call for press conference shortly but decline to confirm its certainty.
A few days before the Pacquiao-Mosley fight, Mayweather was reported to be considering Victor Ortiz and Miguel Cotto for his next fight.
During the recent Ortiz-Berto fight, Mayweather was seen in the audience watching the fight live along with his friend 50 Cent.
For about two years, the promoters of Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao have been negotiating for a fight that millions of boxing fans around the world have been clamoring for, but due to disagreements on drug testing and purse sharing, the fight talks failed to gain ground.
Last month, Pacquiao’s Canadian advisor, Michael Koncz, revealed that $50 million was offered during their most recent negotiations with Mayweather’s camp.
“A country that I won't name offered us $100 million to bring the Mayweather fight there,” he told abs-cbnNEWS.com.
“So we, in turn, offered $50 million to Mayweather as a guarantee[d purse]. If the pay-per-view comes in higher, Manny and Mayweather would make more,” Koncz added.
He said negotiations went downhill after the flamboyant Mayweather, dubbed as “Pretty Boy Floyd,” demanded a staggering $100 million purse.
“He refused the $50 million… It means he don't wanna fight Manny at this point in his career. Very simple,” said Koncz.
However, Mayweather's reported agreement to fight Ortiz on September 17 appears real as the unbeaten champion had earlier shown interest on the new WBC welterweight champion and his need for a tune-up fight before a possible showdown with Manny Pacquiao.
Pacquiao is set to collide with Juan Manuel Marquez for the much awaited trilogy in November if the Mexican gets a paper release from Oscar de la Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions.
With these recent developments, the much talked-about fight between Pacquiao and Mayweather could finally take place early next year.


.jpg)






