If you follow this blog you know I have a few topics that I burn on regularly; concussions and Wolverines leaving early for the NFL or NBA Drafts.
Now don't get me wrong, if you're a first or second round player, I don't have any problems with you leaving early for the professional ranks. I agree the risk of injury and your window to make millions is too hard to pass up.
My problem lies with these young men who are getting terrible advice on where they are projected in the draft and make a poor decision to leave early. My first example was Adrian Arrington who left Michigan early two years ago after one of his best games of his career in the Citrus Bowl win over Florida.
He was drafted in the seventh round by the Super Bowl Champs New Orleans Saints and has basically just been hanging on to a roster spot via the practice squad. He hasn't sniffed the field in two years in the NFL. He does have a Super Bowl ring, which is his only bright side of his professional career so far.
The most recent example of leaving early is Donovan Warren who was not drafted this weekend and reportedly signed with the Jets as a free agent on Saturday. There were 33 cornerbacks taken in the NFL 2010 draft including the likes of Jeremy Ware of MSU and Ray Fisher from Indiana. Were there really 33 cornerbacks better than Warren in 2009?
No, IMO there was not.
The problem is Warren was rated a third or fourth round draft pick when he announced and then he ran a poor 40-yard dash at the combine. When your a first round talent and then you run a poor 40 you drop to the third or fourth round. When your a fourth round talent and ran a poor 40, you drop out of the draft. That is what happened with Donovan.
Was it his ankle? I don't know but if the people close to Donovan gave him really good advice he should have stayed another year, worked with Barwis and improved his draft stock. If his ankle wasn't 100 percent that is another reason to stay in school. Either way, good luck DW with the Jets. I understand his godfather Mark Carrier is a coach on the Jets staff. We are all pulling for you to make the team!
Other Michigan Draft News:
- Zoltan gets drafted by Patriots in the fifth round. Many experts thought it was a reach but how can you pass up a punter with the name Zoltan? Brady and Zoltan on the same team is pretty intriguing. I wonder who will sell more jerseys?
- Stevie Brown got drafted in the seventh round by the Raiders. Congrats Stevie!
- David Mooseman signs with Cardinals as a free agent.
- Carlos Brown signs with the Saints as a free agent.
- The Chicago Bears sign both Greg Mathews and Brandon Minor as free agents.
- Mark Ortmann signs with the Carolina Panthers as a free agent.