If the trilogy between Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones is going to be completed, the time is ticking for the third fight after Cormier said he wouldn't come out of retirement to fight Jones.
Cormier announced earlier this year that he will retire when he turns 40 years old, which will happen on March 20, 2019. Complicating matters, Bones had his fight license revoked back in February following a failed drug test at UFC 214.
"If I'm not gonna do it for guys that I really like, I won't do it for somebody that I don't like," Cormier told TMZ Sports. "So, if he doesn't come back before that date, our time will have passed."
Cormier currently sits at 20-1-0 in his UFC career, with the lone loss coming at the hands of Jones at UFC 182 in January 2015. Bones is 23-1-0 and has not lost since December 2009.
Jones also defeated Cormier at UFC 214, but that win was overturned as a result of his failed drug test.
Cormier previously went on the record to say that he wants another shot at the opponent he is 0-2 against, via MMAFighting.com: "I want to fight Jon Jones. I do. I still feel I can win. I know that I’ve lost twice...But I feel like we were having a good fight."
Count Jones in:
It's obvious both fighters would welcome a third showdown. At this point, it all comes down to whether or not Jones can be cleared to fight and if they could get something on the schedule by next March.