NFLNBANHLMLBWNBARoland-GarrosSoccer
Featured Video
Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢
MANCHESTER, UNITED KINGDOM - MARCH 23: Gianluca Vialli during the  International Friendly match between Italy  v Argentina  at the Etihad Stadium on March 23, 2018 in Manchester United Kingdom (Photo by Richard Sellers/Soccrates/Getty Images)
MANCHESTER, UNITED KINGDOM - MARCH 23: Gianluca Vialli during the International Friendly match between Italy v Argentina at the Etihad Stadium on March 23, 2018 in Manchester United Kingdom (Photo by Richard Sellers/Soccrates/Getty Images)Soccrates Images/Getty Images

Gianluca Vialli Says Antonio Conte 'Can't Wait to Leave Chelsea'

James DudkoApr 1, 2018

Gianluca Vialli has said Antonio Conte "can't wait to leave Chelsea," per Sky Sport Italia (h/t Football Italia).

If Conte does leave this summer, former Chelsea manager Vialli believes megarich Ligue 1 giants Paris Saint-Germain could answer his ambitions, while also saying a return to the Italy national team is possible.

Vialli was speaking after current boss Conte saw the Blues beaten 3-1 by Tottenham Hotspur at Stamford Bridge in the Premier League on Sunday. The result leaves Chelsea eight points adrift of the top four and unlikely to quality for next season's UEFA Champions League.

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports

Vialli, a former team-mate of Conte's at Juventus during the pair's playing days, believes the latter is angered by not having enough of a say in Chelsea's recruitment policy: "He can't stand that they sell or buy players without consulting him. The truth is, Chelsea would like a manager who is more of a club man."

Conte is said to be unhappy about Chelsea's transfer strategy.

Conte will naturally be under pressure after Chelsea fell 28 points behind leaders Manchester City less than a full season after winning the title to cap his first campaign in charge.

Since then, Conte has been critical of the players the Blues have added to his squad. In January, the 48-year-old told Sky Sport Italia (h/t Harry Howes of the Daily Star) he'd "rarely been given" the signings he wanted.

Conte continued to air his grievances in February, when he said the club had brought too many players last summer, according to Derek Hunter of the Mail on Sunday.

The Blues signed eight players, including centre-back Antonio Rudiger, striker Alvaro Morata and midfielder Danny Drinkwater. Yet Conte also lost centre-forward Diego Costa and vital holding midfielder Nemanja Matic.

LONDON, ENGLAND - APRIL 01: A dejected Alvaro Morata of Chelsea during the Premier League match between Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur at Stamford Bridge on April 1, 2018 in London, England. (Photo by Robbie Jay Barratt - AMA/Getty Images)

Conte has even questioned the resources available to him at Stamford Bridge, per Jack Pitt-Brooke of The Independent: "I have great ambition, but I don’t have money to spend for Chelsea."

It's tough to attach credibility to this argument since Chelsea are backed by billionaire owner Roman Abramovich, who has rarely been shy about investing. The Blues also added Olivier Giroud, Ross Barkley and Emerson Palmieri during the January window.

Conte may be running out of excuses in west London, but he has made it clear he's not concerned about his job, per Goal's Nizaar Kinsella:

If Conte is moved on, the man who has won league titles in two different countries would surely not find it difficult to land another top job.

Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports
United States v Japan - International Friendly
FIFA World Cup 2026 Venues - New York New Jersey Stadium

TRENDING ON B/R