NFLNBAMLBNHLWNBASoccerGolf
Featured Video
They Control the NBA This Summer ✍️
Chelsea manager Antonio Conte celebrates after his team defeated West Ham 2-1 in their English Premier League soccer match at London Stadium, Monday, March 6, 2017. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth)
Chelsea manager Antonio Conte celebrates after his team defeated West Ham 2-1 in their English Premier League soccer match at London Stadium, Monday, March 6, 2017. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth)Kirsty Wigglesworth/Associated Press

Antonio Conte Reportedly Could Sign New Chelsea Contract Amid Inter Rumours

Alex KebleMar 8, 2017

Chelsea manager Antonio Conte is expected to sign a new contract at the club over the next few days, per Sky Sports. The news should effectively end Inter Milan's interest in the Italian.

The deal could even be completed before Chelsea's FA Cup quarter-final tie against Manchester United on Mar. 13, after Sky sources reported it will be a "matter of days" before the 47-year-old puts pen to paper, per Sky Sports.

There is no indication yet whether Contewho agreed a £5 million a year, three-season deal with Chelsea last April—will be expecting a pay rise or any other significant changes to his current contract.

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports

Chelsea have enjoyed a phenomenal first campaign under Conte. They hold a seemingly unassailable 10-point lead at the top of the Premier League table and, with United visiting Stamford Bridge on Monday night, could even end the season winning the double. Conte would be the first manager to achieve this feat in his first year of English management since Kenny Dalglish in 1986.

STRATFORD, ENGLAND - MARCH 06: The TV steadicam follows Antonio Conte manager of Chelsea as he celebrates after the Premier League match between West Ham United and Chelsea at London Stadium on March 6, 2017 in Stratford, England. (Photo by Catherine Ivil

However, Conte's recent admission of homesickness—his family still live in Italy—has sparked rumours that he will not be in England for long.

"For sure, to arrive here is not easy," he said, per Sean Kearns for Metro. "If you ask me if my family is missing me, honestly, I have to say yes, they are. It’s not easy to stay alone and live this experience with my family still in Italy. I hope to live this experience with my family next season."

It is easy to see why Inter might be keen to capitalise on this development and snatch him away from London, although Chelsea correspondent for ESPN FC, Liam Twomey, doesn't think the story has legs:

Inter are sixth in Serie A, six points shy of the UEFA Champions League qualification places and with little chance of finishing above Napoli, AS Roma or Juventus this season. A terrible start to the campaign saw Frank de Boer sacked on Nov. 1, just 85 days after taking the job, and since then Stefano Pioli has steadied the ship.

The club have won 10 of their last 12 Serie A games to put them within sight of UEFA Europa League qualification, although this does not appear to be enough to give Pioli any job security. The Nerazzurri have reportedly been in contact with Conte's agent, per Sky Sports.

"Rumours of other coaches are just part of football," Pioli said when asked about his position at the club, per Sky Sports. "However, I do not lose the belief that I can do well for this club."

Conte's new contract should fend off interest from Inter, who will have to look elsewhere for a new head coach, and reassure those Chelsea fans who were worried Conte's homesickness might cut his Stamford Bridge tenure short. 

They Control the NBA This Summer ✍️

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports
United States v Japan - International Friendly
FIFA World Cup 2026 Venues - New York New Jersey Stadium

TRENDING ON B/R