X

Joe Mixon Says 2014 Assault of Woman Was a 'Bad Decision' That 'Haunts' Him

Mike Chiari@mikechiariFeatured ColumnistFebruary 27, 2017

NEW ORLEANS, LA - JANUARY 02:  Joe Mixon #25 of the Oklahoma Sooners runs with the ball against the Auburn Tigers during the Allstate Sugar Bowl at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome on January 2, 2017 in New Orleans, Louisiana.  (Photo by Matthew Stockman/Getty Images)
Matthew Stockman/Getty Images

Former Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon expressed regret Monday for a 2014 incident in which he punched a woman at a Norman, Oklahoma, sandwich shop.

Mixon appeared on PFT Live (h/t Michael David Smith of Pro Football Talk) and said the following regarding the situation:

I made a bad decision. Ever since that night I have to live with it. I've got to re-live it every day. You can never forget something like that. It still haunts me to this day, but it's what you do from that point on. You can't take it back. I can replay it in my head a thousand times, and if I could take it back I would, but I can't.

Per ESPN.com, Mixon's lawyers released video in December of Mixon punching Amelia Molitor. Mixon was suspended for the entire 2014 season after the altercation, and he pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault without an admission of guilt, which resulted in a one-year deferred sentence, community service and mandatory counseling.

Mixon also discussed his apology for the incident, via PFT's Mike Florio:

It was actually about two years later. I’ve always wanted to apologize but from my legal team and a couple of people from the legal situation...you know, in the Oklahoma program to media it wasn’t a right time for me, the right time for me to actually apologize. I pretty much told my legal team that if I could do anything for me to at least see her face-to-face you know where nobody is around I could at least apologize and ask her for my forgiveness but they didn’t allow me to do that. The first opportunity I got, you know, I’ve taken the initiative to ask for forgiveness and apologize to her and if I could’ve did it before I would’ve done that.

The California native was not invited to the 2017 NFL Scouting Combine because of the charge against him.

In a memo released by the NFL last year, it was announced that prospects with misdemeanor or felony convictions involving violence would not be permitted to partake in the combine.

Mixon is among the most highly touted running backs in the draft after rushing for 1,274 yards and 10 touchdowns last season to go along with 37 receptions for 538 yards and an additional five scores.

As part of his most recent big board, Bleacher Report's Matt Miller ranked Mixon as the No. 52 overall prospect in the draft and the No. 6 running back.

He also predicted in his latest mock draft that Mixon will be selected in the third round of the 2017 NFL draft with the No. 72 overall pick by the Carolina Panthers.

🚨 SPORTS NEWS ➡️ YOUR INBOX

The latest in the sports world, emailed daily.