WWE announced a 60-day suspension of Paige on Monday for her second violation of the company's wellness policy.
Paige previously served a 30-day suspension earlier this year for her first violation. She has been out of action while recovering from injuries since her previous ban ended in September.
Releasing a statement on Twitter, Paige said her first violation was due to a missed drug test, not a failure.
"Let me be clear that I was not suspended for failing a drug test, it was merely due to a procedural issue," she said. "I took the test, I passed it. I arranged said test to happen after I wasn't at my home when Aegis contacted me. So I drove 200 miles to do it. Unfortunately I didn't do it in time, according to Aegis. Once again, thank you for all the love and support."
She seemingly responded with even more candor after WWE's announcement Monday (NSFW language):
Paige has not appeared on WWE programming since a June 27 match on Raw. RingsideNews.com reported she was planning to undergo neck surgery, which could potentially keep her out of action for a year. While neither WWE nor Paige has confirmed the report, it's expected she will remain out of the ring for several months.
Paige's father, Ricky Knight, released a statement on Facebook claiming painkillers related to the neck injury were the cause:
She has been in pain and out of in ring action for a fair while now and has been prescribed pain killers which apparently is against the wellness program. i feel my daughter has been let down big time in the USA and the proper care and advice needed in the position she has been in has not happened to say i am pissed off with the situation is an understatement, this is my statement i am not open to questions thank you for your cooperation.
Once a crowned jewel of the women's division, Paige's star has been rapidly falling for much of the past year. She became a secondary figure amid the debuts of Charlotte, Sasha Banks and Becky Lynch, and her relationship with Alberto Del Rio reportedly drew heat backstage, according to Mister Saint Laurent of MSL & Sullivan (h/t Wrestle Zone).
Del Rio and Paige were both suspended for wellness violations in August. The former's ban resulted in the end of his working relationship with the company, which had become contentious over booking decisions. Del Rio had returned to WWE having come off a highly successful run at Lucha Underground, but he failed to capture any heat with audience after being put in DOA Mexamerica and League of Nations angles.
Despite rumors to the contrary, Paige said in September she would remain with WWE and not leave with Del Rio. It's unclear how much that stance has changed amid this latest development.
Either way, it's jarring how rapidly her career is deteriorating at age 24.
Follow Tyler Conway (@jtylerconway) on Twitter.