NFLNBAMLBNHLWNBASoccerGolf
Featured Video
Mitchell Headed to 1st Conference Finals 🔥
FILE - In this Tuesday, Aug. 9, 2016, file photo, United States' Ryan Lochte checks his time in a men's 4x200-meter freestyle heat during the swimming competitions at the 2016 Summer Olympics, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Add two fresh entries to the increasingly popular genre of non-apology apologies. In a span of 15 hours, politician Donald Trump and Lochte both coughed up carefully crafted words of contrition, each without fully owning up to exactly what he’d done wrong. (AP Photo/Michael Sohn, File)
FILE - In this Tuesday, Aug. 9, 2016, file photo, United States' Ryan Lochte checks his time in a men's 4x200-meter freestyle heat during the swimming competitions at the 2016 Summer Olympics, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Add two fresh entries to the increasingly popular genre of non-apology apologies. In a span of 15 hours, politician Donald Trump and Lochte both coughed up carefully crafted words of contrition, each without fully owning up to exactly what he’d done wrong. (AP Photo/Michael Sohn, File)Michael Sohn/Associated Press

Ryan Lochte Reportedly Summoned to Brazil to Testify Regarding Alleged Robbery

Adam WellsAug 25, 2016

Ryan Lochte's strange saga will continue as the Olympic gold medalist was summoned to Brazil to testify about an alleged robbery that took place during the Rio Games.

NBC News shared video from MSNBC with information about Lochte's summons:

TOP NEWS

Colts Jaguars Football
With Jayson Tatum sidelined, Celtics' fourth-quarter comeback falls short in Game 7 loss to 76ers

FoxNews.com reported, citing detective Clemente Braune, that "there is no penalty for him not appearing in front of the Justice Department, but if he doesn't appear he won't be able to engage in a plea deal."

On August 14, Ben Way of Fox Sports reported Lochte and three U.S. Olympic swimming teammates were held up at gunpoint during a party in Brazil.

A Brazilian judge had ordered Lochte, Gunnar Bentz, James Feigen and Jack Conger to remain in the country during the investigation into the alleged robbery, but Lochte's father told the Press Association on August 17 that his son had already returned home. 

During an interview with NBC's Matt Lauer (via A.J. Perez and Michael Singer of USA Today), Lochte maintained the story that he and his teammates had been robbed: 

"

They had gone to the bathroom in a gas station. They got back to the taxi, and when they told the taxi driver to go, he didn't move. They said, "let's go" again, "we've got to get out of here," and again the taxi driver didn't move. And that's when he says two men approached the car with guns and badges.

"

The following day, Feigen revised his story with authorities, and the United States Olympic Committee released an official statement regarding the situation:

Lochte issued an apology through his Instagram account, saying: "I should have been much more responsible in how I handled myself and for that am sorry to my teammates, my fans, my fellow competitors, my sponsors and the hosts of this great event."

Brazilian authorities told Michael Del Moro of ABC News that Lochte and Feigen were "indicted for false reporting a crime."

As a result of the scandal, Lochte has lost four of his major sponsorship deals since the Olympics ended.

The 32-year-old is the second-most decorated Olympic swimmer in history, with 12 total medals trailing only Michael Phelps' 28. 

Mitchell Headed to 1st Conference Finals 🔥

TOP NEWS

Colts Jaguars Football
With Jayson Tatum sidelined, Celtics' fourth-quarter comeback falls short in Game 7 loss to 76ers
DENVER NUGGETS VS GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS, NBA
Fox's "Special Forces" Red Carpet

TRENDING ON B/R