Floyd Mayweather Jr. continues to tease a potential fight between himself and MMA star Conor McGregor.
Mayweather posted an apparently photoshopped promotion featuring the two fighters to his Instagram account on Sunday:
The two have been hyping a fight for months, but nothing has been set up. This latest post appears to be another publicity stunt to keep the public from forgetting about the event's possibility.
ESPN's Brett Okamoto thinks Mayweather's camp is trying to rile up the sporting world:
Famed boxing trainer Freddie Roach is among those who believe the fight will happen at some point. He told Inside MMA's Bas Rutten and Mauro Ranallo (via BoxingScene.com's Keith Idec) that Mayweather approached him about training McGregor in the ring:
There’s a lot of rumors out there and I’m getting constant calls that Conor asked me to train him. But they’re not true. He has not called me yet. But Mayweather did come by my gym last week and he asked me to take that job if it’s offered to me, because he told me the fight is gonna happen and we’re gonna make a lot of money.
McGregor refuted the rumors that the fight would only generate $100 million for Mayweather during an interview with ESPN's Kenny Mayne that aired on May 22 (via Lance Pugmire of the Los Angeles Times):
I hear the boy talking. It was him that leaked the rumor that he’d get $100 million, I’d get $7 million. That’s a pay cut for me. I don’t take pay cuts. I thought boxing was where the money was at. Seven million is absolutely laughable.
He’s talking $100 million, I’m also talking $100 million. I’m 27 years of age and I’m just about halfway through a $100-million contract. At 27, Floyd Mayweather was on Oscar De La Hoya’s undercard, so compare that.
At this point, the fight appears to be all talk. The format and venue are also not clear, as the fight could take place in a boxing ring or an MMA cage. If it were to come to fruition, though, it would undoubtedly become one of the biggest sporting events of the year.