
Tiger Woods Registers for 2016 US Open as He Recovers from Back Surgery
Tiger Woods has no set date for his return from back surgery. He has, however, registered for the 2016 U.S. Open.
According to Alex Miceli of Golfweek, Woods took the steps necessary to play in the year's second major championship, which takes place June 16-19 at Oakmont Country Club in Oakmont, Pennsylvania. The former world No. 1 did not play in the Masters Tournament due to injury.
"Simply procedural," Woods' agent, Mark Steinberg, told ESPN's Bob Harig of the decision to register. "No reason to read anything into this."
Woods hasn't played a competitive round of golf since last August's Wyndham Championship. Lingering back problems caused him to undergo a second microdiscectomy procedure on his back in September, and he had a follow-up procedure in October to relieve pain.
Woods wrote the following on his official website April 1:
"I've been hitting balls and training daily, but I'm not physically ready. I've said all along that this time I need to be cautious and do what's best for my long-term health and career. Unfortunately, playing Augusta next week wouldn't be the right decision. I'm absolutely making progress, and I'm really happy with how far I've come, but I still have no timetable to return to competitive golf.
"
Woods, 40, did not make the weekend in three of last year's four major championships. He posted rounds of 80 and 76 at the U.S. Open at Chambers Bay on his way to missing the cut. The three-time U.S. Open champion hasn't played a weekend round in the event since 2013. His last top-10 finish in the event was back in 2010, which is one of his last fully healthy seasons on tour.
It's been a consistent struggle for Woods over the last three seasons, so it's unclear what shape his game will be in if he does make the trip to Oakmont. Woods finished in a tie for second place during the 2007 event at Oakmont, failing to birdie No. 18 and force a playoff with Angel Cabrera.
Given his injuries and recent play, it'd be a near-miracle for Woods to stay on the course through the weekend. At the very least, his decision to register signals there's a chance he'll be back in action.
Follow Tyler Conway (@jtylerconway) on Twitter

.jpg)







