The Turnberry golf club in Scotland will no longer be considered to host The Open Championship following a series of controversial remarks by owner Donald Trump.
According to James Cusick of the Independent on Sunday, golf's governing body, the R&A, has privately decided the course is no longer eligible to host The Open Championship after Trump's comments "about Muslims, Mexicans, Chinese and women, among others" received widespread condemnation.
His comments are deemed to have put the competition at serious risk of being boycotted by both sponsors and players should it be held at Turnberry.
According to Cusick, the R&A was first alerted to Trump's contentious views in June when he described Mexican immigrants as "rapists."
Following more and more controversial statements since then in Trump's campaign for the Republican presidential nomination, the decision has been made to exclude the club from contention. Per Cusick, an unnamed R&A member said, "Those who forecast worse would come, including warnings from our American cousins, have been proved correct."
Regarding the body's discussions of his behavior and whether action should be taken, another member of the R&A added, "One word was thrown around: enough."
The club—bought by the American businessman in 2014—last hosted the tournament in 2009. According to Cusick, it was anticipated that R&A chief executive Martin Slumbers would endorse the club as the venue for The Open Championship for a fifth time in 2020.
The R&A has not ruled out the possibility of Turnberry ever hosting the event again, though it appears it may not for as long as Trump owns it.
"2020 will not happen here," an insider said, per Cusick. "Turnberry will be back. But perhaps not Trump Turnberry."