
Real Madrid May Face Copa del Rey Disqualification for Fielding Denis Cheryshev
Real Madrid may face disqualification from the 2015-16 Copa del Rey after it was discovered that Denis Cheryshev, who started and scored for Los Blancos in Wednesday's match against Cadiz, was ineligible to play.
Cheryshev was still serving a suspension picked up while playing for Villarreal last season, per AS. According to Canal+ (h/t AS), Borja Mayoral, who started on the bench, was also ineligible.
Continue for updates.
TOP NEWS

Madrid Fines Players $590K 😲

'Mbappé Out' Petition Gaining Steam 😳

Star-Studded World Cup Ad 🤩
Cadiz Officially Report Madrid to RFEF
Thursday, Dec. 3
AS provided Cadiz's formal complaint to the Royal Spanish Football Federation, which will now see Madrid investigated by the Copa del Rey's governing body.
Cheryshev Comments on Suspension
Thursday, Dec. 3
"I did not receive any notification from Villarreal to inform me that I had been banned from playing in the Copa del Rey," the Russian told Madrid's official media.
Precedent Exists for Madrid Case
Wednesday, Dec. 2
According to Sport, Osasuna were kicked out of the competition for a similar transgression last season.
This also wouldn't be the first time a team coached by Madrid boss Rafael Benitez were eliminated from the cup for fielding an ineligible player, as shared by Squawka's Colin Millar:
Madrid Legend Butragueno Provides Club's Defence
Wednesday, Dec. 2
"Article 41 of disciplinary code says possible punishment does not have effect if interested party not notified personally," Madrid staff member and former striker Emilio Butragueno said, per ESPN FC's Dermot Corrigan.
Pressure Grows on Benitez
As shared by Sports Illustrated's Grant Wahl, the Cadiz supporters enjoyed taunting the visitors while the first half played out, chanting "Benitez, look at Twitter."
Benitez was already under a lot of pressure after the 4-0 loss against Barcelona in November, and the Daily Mail's Pete Jenson even suggested he's already fighting to keep his job. He will be in even more trouble if the Royal Spanish Football Federation decides to disqualify Los Blancos from the Copa del Rey, although there's no guarantee they will.



.jpg)







