NFLNBANHLMLBWNBARoland-GarrosSoccer
Featured Video
Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, £42 million man?
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, £42 million man?VI-Images/Getty Images

Believability Meter on the Week's Biggest Rumours: Messi, Morata, Aubameyang

Laura GreeneNov 21, 2015

Lionel Messi to the Premier League, Alvaro Morata linked with a return to Real Madrid and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang seemingly available for £42 million. Gossip about potential January deals is in full flow.

Over the following pages we assess the credibility of the week's biggest transfer rumours and dissect the latest news surrounding West Bromwich Albion's Saido Berahino, Olympique de Marseille's Michy Batshuayi, Celta Vigo's Nolito and Manchester United outcast Victor Valdes.

As you'll see, our believability meter has been feeling rather cynical, but would you rate any of these rumours differently? Let us know in the comments section below.

Lionel Messi 'Open' to a Premier League Move

1 of 7
Barcelona's Lionel Messi, linked with the Premier League.
Barcelona's Lionel Messi, linked with the Premier League.

Lionel Messi has been described as "open" to a move to the Premier League, with Arsenal said to be his preferred destination.

However, it seems the Barcelona star may price himself out of a switch to the English top flight because of reported £600,000-a-week wage demands.

These rumours come from the Daily Star's David Woods, who claimed:

"

The four-time World Footballer of the Year is open to a move to England after falling foul of the tax authorities in Spain.

But the Barcelona superstar's staggering demands look to have priced him out of the budgets of even big-spending Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal.

The 28-year-old Argentina ace is understood to favour moving to London, with the Gunners his preferred option if he quits Barcelona.

But the deal he wants would see him paid £18m a year AFTER tax, meaning a weekly wage of £600,000 before deductions.

He is currently earning over £14m a year net in La Liga and has a buy-out clause in excess of £175m.

"

Messi's most recent contract extension was signed in May 2014—a deal which is set to run until 2018.

In 493 games for Barcelona, the 28-year-old has racked up 418 goals and 191 assists.

Chelsea and Manchester United were also linked with Messi in Woods' report.

Believability Meter: Low

Uh-oh—it's a Daily Star "exclusive."

January is still some way off and already we've been given one of the more ludicrous stories of the winter window.

These rumours have emerged for a number of reasons. Primarily, the issue of an investigation into alleged tax fraud against Messi and his father has left the Argentinian unhappy in Spain.

Also, up until Saturday's Clasico, the forward had been out of action since September 26 because of a knee injury. In his absence, Neymar flourished, scoring eight Liga goals and three assists, plus two goals and three assists in the Champions League.

With Neymar and Luis Suarez in the side, Barcelona find themselves in a situation in which they could probably cope rather nicely without Messi, who we are told wants out.

It should be an easy move, then, and the gossip is true?

Not quite. Not only has Messi told us, per his team's official site, in the past he wants to retire at Barca, there happens to be a stumbling block between him and the Premier League—a big, £600,000-shaped stumbling block.

It's a fairly big hurdle, even for wealthy Premier League sides, and especially so for Arsenal. Although their wage bill has increased in recent years, they would be unwilling to pay one player so much.

Even Lionel Messi.

Alvaro Morata Dismisses Talk of a Real Madrid Return

2 of 7
Juventus' Alvaro Morata, on his way back to Real Madrid?
Juventus' Alvaro Morata, on his way back to Real Madrid?

Alvaro Morata has dismissed talk stating he could be on his way back to Real Madrid, insisting he is happy at Juventus.

The 23-year-old came through the youth system with Madrid, for whom he made 52 appearances at senior level before signing for the Serie A club in summer 2014.

After playing 46 games for Juve in 2014/15, winning the Scudetto and the Coppa Italia, not to mention making it to the Champions League final (in which he scored against Barcelona), he is being linked with a move back to the Spanish capital.

These claims come from football agent Ernesto Bronzetti, who, when speaking to Tuttosport (h/t Daniel Prescott in the MailOnline), said:

"

Madrid's intention is to bring him back, but whether they do it or not will depend on the will of the player. The outcome will arrive in the months to come. 

Madrid are starting to change their transfer policy. They are now looking to sign young players and Morata's profile is interesting.

"

However, the 23-year-old was quoted as saying (via Prescott):

"

As for Real Madrid rumours, I let it all slide off me. The only thing that interests me is playing as much as possible for Juve and winning titles, as after that anything people say is not my problem.

I know that I have to do better, that I haven't been as consistent as last season and so far I haven't played at my level. I need to get back there and surpass it, seeing as I am only 23 and hope to improve further.

I am very happy where I am and am not thinking of any other club. It's true there are many things that are not up to me, but I repeat I am happy at Juventus and have no intention of changing.

"

Morata's deal with Juve is set to run until 2019.

Believability Meter: Low

Due to the buy-back clause in Morata's contract, per the Bianconeri's official site, this is a story that promises to be rehashed every time a transfer window approaches.

With six wins out of 13 games so far, the shaky start Max Allegri's side has had to the Serie A season will fuel gossip concerning ins and outs at the club.

Reports would have you believe Morata is enduring a bad start to the season. However, last term he missed two of the season's first 12 games, through injury and suspension, was benched twice, played eight times—starting just one—and scored four goals.

This time, he has been in the starting XI on six occasions, has missed out twice and has one goal and two assists over his 11 outings. OK, it's not a strike rate to write home about, but it's not that bad.

Also, it's worth pointing out Morata has already scored twice in the Champions League in 2015/16, whereas he didn't find the back of the net in the competition until February 24 last term.

Morata and Juventus will both get better this season, and we highly doubt he is finding life so difficult he feels he has to return to the city of his birth so soon.

As soon as Juve float back toward the top of the table—and they will—expect this gossip to dry up.

Saido Berahino a £20M Target for Chelsea

3 of 7
Saido Berahino, West Bromwich Albion to Chelsea?
Saido Berahino, West Bromwich Albion to Chelsea?

Saido Berahino could be on his way to Chelsea in January, with talk of a £20 million bid in the offing.

As reported by John Percy in the Telegraph:

"

Berahino, the West Bromwich Albion forward, has emerged as one of the strikers on Chelsea’s shortlist for the New Year as the Premier League champions prepare to strengthen their squad.

With Radamel Falcao expected to depart Stamford Bridge when the transfer window reopens, Jose Mourinho is planning to recruit at least one new striker and there is growing support behind a move to sign Berahino.

The England Under-21 international has been identified as a potential signing as he will have only 18 months left on his contract in January, while he will also boost Chelsea’s home-grown player quota. He has proven he can score goals in the Premier League, registering 14 last season and 20 in all competitions.

Falcao's loan deal from Monaco is set to be scrapped after a disappointing spell for the Colombia international and Mourinho will be backed with funds after an abysmal first half of the season.

"

Elsewhere, Fiorentina's Mario Gomez, Napoli's Gonzalo Higuain, Valencia's Paco Alcacer, Atletico Madrid's Antoine Griezmann and Lokomotiv Moscow's Baye Oumar Niasse are named as potential striker targets for Jose Mourinho's side, per Simon Jones in the MailOnline.

Berahino has scored three Premier League goals in 11 games for the Baggies this season.

He is under contract at the Hawthorns until summer 2017.


Believability Meter: Medium

Berahino wants to leave West Brom. That much seems clear.

Over the summer, Tottenham Hotspur had several bids turned down for the striker, who had a transfer request denied.

Cue comments from Berahino on Twitter, in which he appeared to criticise club chairman Jeremy Peace, per BBC Sport.

He may be playing again, after vowing not to, but it still doesn't look like a happy marriage.

As for Chelsea, they have scored just 17 goals in 2015/16 and will need more firepower in January should Falcao depart and if Loic Remy and Diego Costa do not start to show signs of improvement. The pair have zero and three goals in the top flight respectively so far this season.

As Percy reported in the Telegraph, Peace is "notoriously opposed to doing deals in January."

However, Berahino will soon be within the final 18 months of his contract, so the Baggies could find an offer of £20 million too good to turn down—just like when they sold Shane Long to Hull City in January 2014 for £7 million.

Stamford Bridge may or may not be his next home but linked elsewhere with Manchester United and Spurs, such as by Rhys Turrell in the Daily Star, Berahino will leave in January.

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports

Michy Batshuayi: Available for £35M in January

4 of 7
Michy Batshuayi, Olympique de Marseille.
Michy Batshuayi, Olympique de Marseille.

Olympique de Marseille striker Michy Batshuayi will be available for £35 million in January.

Chelsea are said to be preparing a bid for the 22-year-old, according to Le10sport (h/t Joe Short in the Express), with Valencia also credited with interest.

Talk of the centre-forward's hefty price tag appears to come from Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas, who believes he is being priced out of a move for Batshuayi. Aulas was quoted by Short as saying:

"

There is not a club in the top 15 in the world that is not interested in Batshuayi.

He is one of the most wanted players in the market.There were plenty of offers for him this summer but he would not leave.

If clubs want him they will pay the price. About £35m!

"

Recently, Arsenal were also mooted to be watching the Belgian by Mercato 365 (h/t talkSPORT).

Batshuayi, who signed for Marseille from Standard Liege in summer 2014, has scored nine goals in 16 games in all competitions this season.

His contract is designed to keep him at Stade Velodrome until 2019.

Believability Meter: Low

The third-highest goalscorer in Ligue 1, we understand why clubs are suddenly being linked with a January move for Batshuayi.

But we remain skeptical that a move is actually going to happen.

First of all, the above quotes from Aulas have also been credited to Marseille president Vincent Labrune in La Derniere Heure (h/t Aaron Flanagan in the Mirror).

Plus, the young Belgium international signed for l'OM just 16 months ago, and we've seen little credible indication from player or club that his five-year deal is going to be cut short.

The quotes don't make sense, we have little substance to prop up this rumour and, until we do, our believability meter stays firmly at low.

Arsenal Favourites to Sign Nolito

5 of 7
Nolito, a target for the Gunners?
Nolito, a target for the Gunners?

Arsenal have emerged as favourites to sign Celta Vigo's Nolito amid interest from Barcelona, according to AS (h/t James Cambridge in the Express).

As reported by Cambridge:

"

The Spanish newspaper claims Arsenal will take advantage of Barca's current economic situation, and will meet his release clause 'with pleasure’.

Meanwhile Luis Enrique is reportedly engaged in a 'fight' with the board to free up the funds to complete the signing of the Celta Vigo striker.

The Catalan side are reportedly being tight with the purse strings and have instead offered the manager cheaper alternatives to change his mind.

"

Elsewhere, Simeon Gholam has claimed on the MailOnline that Nolito is refusing to sign a new deal with the Galician side, and is quoted as saying:

"

There is a detail that is not resolved and while it is not settled, I will not sign. I have a three-and-a-half year contract and a [release] clause of 18 million.

If someday I'm wanted by a team, [they can] come speak with Celta and pay what you have to pay.

"

The Spain international signed for Celta Vigo from Benfica in summer 2013. He has since made 86 appearances, scoring 34 goals and registering 20 assists.

His current deal is set to expire in 2019.

Believability Meter: Low

With the most assists (four) and goals (seven) for Eduardo Berizzo's outfit in 2015/16, Nolito has played no small part in Celta's fine start to season. They currently sit in fourth spot in La Liga, having been beaten just twice.

There is little to suggest Arsenal are the front-runners to sign the Spaniard in January, as the reports claim.

The only evidence—and we use "evidence" in its loosest sense—connecting him with Arsene Wenger's side is the fact he liked a transfer rumour connecting him with the Gunners on Instagram (per Will Giles of Metro).

Welcome to modern-day transfer gossip, folks!

Formerly of Barcelona B, Nolito has previously insisted the only way he would leave Balaidos is for a return to the Catalan club, as seen on Goal. He has history with Luis Enrique, having played for the Barca manager at both Celta and Barcelona B.

Maybe we'll see a switch back to Barca in the future. For now, we think he will see out the season in its entirety with Celta Vigo.

Victor Valdes Eyed by Espanyol

6 of 7
Victor Valdes, set for a La Liga return?
Victor Valdes, set for a La Liga return?

Victor Valdes could soon return to La Liga, with Espanyol said to be keen.

As reported by Simon Jones on the MailOnline:

"

Espanyol have made an offer to take Victor Valdes back to Spain in January. 

The 33-year-old goalkeeper continues to train alone away from first team players at United's Carrington training ground and will leave in the next window.

However, he is also keen on staying in the Premier League and has interest from Newcastle United.

"

Formerly of Barcelona, for whom he racked up 530 performances and won six Liga and three Champions League titles among others, Valdes joined Manchester United in January 2015 after his contract expired at the Camp Nou the previous summer.

The goalkeeper did not see eye-to-eye with manager Louis van Gaal, who claimed Valdes refused to turn out for the club's reserve team, so he left the 33-year-old out of United's pre-season tour of the U.S.

It was later announced Valdes would be sold, as seen on BBC Sport. He has made just two Premier League appearances in his time at Old Trafford.

Believability Meter: Medium

Our believability meter could go either way on this one. We are absolutely certain Valdes will not be staying in Manchester beyond the winter window, but there are a number of clubs that should be willing to sign him up. 

A move to Espanyol could feasibly happen. The Catalan side lost Kiko Casilla to Real Madrid over the summer and their location, Barcelona—where Valdes is from—could be appealing.

Espanyol have two stoppers in Pau Lopez and his backup Francesco Bardi, who is on loan, with an option to buy, from Inter Milan. However, it's worth noting they have shipped 23 league goals so far this term—as many as bottom-placed side Levante.

Lopez has denied reports Valdes could be on his way to Estadi Cornella-El Prat, as seen in Mundo Deportivo (h/t ESPN FC). Perhaps he is starting to get worried about his place in Sergio Gonzalez’s team.

Valdes' agent, Gines Carvajal, has hinted Spain would not be his client's next stop, telling Radio Marca (h/t Ed Malyon and Jacob Murtagh in the Mirror) in October, "He'll have a chance [to play] in January, wherever he goes. He needs to go to a place he feels is right for him. He won't be coming to Spain, unless he decides otherwise."

Newcastle United, Liverpool and Chelsea have all been credited with interest in recent months, per Jamie Anderson in the Daily Star and a move to Besiktas looked likely over the summer, as seen on BBC Sport.

Realistically, Valdes could go anywhere. Hopefully his next move will be a successful one.

Arsenal: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang Available for £42M

7 of 7
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Borussia Dortmund.
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Borussia Dortmund.

Arsenal have been told Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang would be available for £42 million, according to Bild (h/t Liam Corless in the Mirror).

With 23 goals in 21 games in all competitions this season, the Borussia Dortmund striker is in fine form and leads the Bundesliga's scoring charts with 15.

Corless also names Liverpool as suitors for the Gabon international.

Aubameyang, previously of AC Milan and Saint-Etienne, signed for Dortmund in summer 2013 for just £9.1 million.

The 26-year-old recently inked a new contract extension at Signal Iduna Park, one that is designed to keep him at the club until 2020.

Believability Meter: Low

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is enjoying an unstoppable season, Dortmund are flying high under Thomas Tuchel and his deal was extended as recently as July 2015.

Arsenal may be able to buy him for £42 million, but we just can't see it happening, and if he waves a premature goodbye to North Rhine-Westphalia, La Liga looks like the obvious destination.

The player has not shied away from rumours linking him with the Spanish top flight, "One day I'll leave to play in another league," he told the BBC World Service (per BBC Sport). "My dream is to play in Spain."

Of course, this doesn't mean Aubameyang won't do what gossip columns like to call a "shock U-turn" and suddenly pitch up in England, but we'd be surprised if he left Tuchel's side for the Premier League when things are going so well.

In fact, for now, we'd be surprised to see him leave Dortmund at all. This time next year, we predict Aubameyang will still be playing in the black and yellow of BVB.

All player and contract information comes from Transfermarkt unless otherwise indicated.

Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports
United States v Japan - International Friendly
FIFA World Cup 2026 Venues - New York New Jersey Stadium

TRENDING ON B/R