
Wladimir Klitschko Injury: Updates on Boxer's Calf After Tyson Fury Postponement
Heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko postponed his title fight against Tyson Fury, which was previously scheduled for Oct. 24, because of a calf injury.
On Friday, Bernd Boente, Klitschko's manager, suggested the bout will instead take place on Nov. 28 after the fighter was given the "green light" to resume training, relayed by George Gigney of Boxing News.
Continue for updates.
Klitschko Upset over Missed Fury Fight
Friday, Sept. 25
The disappointing news was reported by German newspaper Bild (via Boxing News 24):
"“Of course I’m mad, sorry. For my fans, but also for my opponent Tyson Fury,” Klitschko told German newspaper Bild.
Manager Bernd Bonte explained that a new fight date will be announced this coming week, “We will definitely stay in Dusseldorf. The tickets already sold remain valid,” said Bonte.
"
Fury admitted the situation is "funny" on Twitter after he predicted the bout wouldn't go ahead.
Klitschko had been set to put his WBA, WBO and IBF heavyweight belts on the line against the Englishman at the Esprit Arena in Dusseldorf, Germany.
Now 39 years old, Klitschko has previously discussed his potential retirement from boxing, per Sports Illustrated.
The undefeated Fury earned the right to take on Klitschko following recent defeats of Romania's Christian Hammer and compatriot Dereck Chisora, which took his professional record to 24-0.
It is not the first time the 27-year-old has been left without an opponent ahead of a fight. Fury has been disappointed on numerous occasions in his attempts to fight the now-retired David Haye.
Haye was completely dominated when Klitschko beat him back in 2011 before infamously blaming a toe injury for his poor showing.
Per the Guardian's Kevin Mitchell on Sept. 23, Fury was expected to put up a much better fight in Germany with a potential upset being cautiously predicted in some quarters.


.jpg)






