NFLNBAMLBNHLWNBASoccerGolf
Featured Video
Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢
Atletico's Koke applauds to Atletico supporters at the end of the Champions League quarterfinal second leg soccer match between Atletico Madrid and FC Barcelona at the Vicente Calderon stadium in Madrid, Spain, Wednesday, April 9, 2014. (AP Photo/Andres Kudacki)
Atletico's Koke applauds to Atletico supporters at the end of the Champions League quarterfinal second leg soccer match between Atletico Madrid and FC Barcelona at the Vicente Calderon stadium in Madrid, Spain, Wednesday, April 9, 2014. (AP Photo/Andres Kudacki)Andres Kudacki/Associated Press

Chelsea Transfer News: Major Players Linked in Latest Blues Rumours

Stuart NewmanAug 8, 2015

Premier League champions Chelsea have had an ambitious bid for Atletico Madrid midfielder Koke rejected, believed to be worth a whopping €65 million.

The Spaniard has been linked with a move to Stamford Bridge for some time, but Marca report that Chelsea finally made their move recently—to no avail (via Lee Thomas-Mason of Metro).

Thomas-Mason writes that Blues manager Jose Mourinho had been secretly chasing the 23-year-old midfielder, feeling confident that he’d make the switch to west London.

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports

However, despite the astronomical reported bid, Atletico Madrid and Koke are believed to have turned the deal down.

That’s due to the player himself, Marca saying Koke was convinced by Diego Simeone and Co. to stay at the Vicente Calderon Stadium.

Bayern Munich also reportedly met the midfielder’s buyout clause, but it seems both the German giants and Chelsea will now have to give up the ghost.

That much will be disappointing news for Blues fans, as a world-class attacking midfielder is exactly what they need to bolster the squad.

Chelsea may have just won the title with ease, but their setup is suddenly looking a little light, and reinforcements are undoubtedly needed.

Bleacher Report’s Garry Hayes agrees, convinced that without adding an exciting midfielder and a defender, Chelsea’s season looks worrying:

It’s all about intelligent spending, though. The capture of Juan Cuadrado proves that the Blues occasionally haven’t had their transfer thinking caps on, and Mourinho is determined not to make the same mistake again—as he told John Cross of the Mirror:

"

You say if you stand still you get worse. It's right. But the same people can move forward. You don't need to buy 10 players to be a better team. You can be a better team with one or two new players and be a better team, with the same people.

"

Chelsea haven’t looked like a better team in pre-season, mind; and with depth the all-important factor behind success while fighting for trophies on four fronts, Blues fans have every right to be a little concerned.

Meanwhile, the John Stones transfer saga goes on, although things are getting a little quiet on the next offer front.

DUNDEE, SCOTLAND - JULY 28: John Stones for Everton at the Pre Season Friendly between Dundee and Everton at Dens Park on July 28th, 2015 in Dundee, Scotland.  (Photo by Jeff Holmes/Getty Images)

Chelsea reportedly had a £26 million bid turned down for the Everton man recently and were said to be preparing another offer around the £30 million mark, per Matt Law of the Daily Telegraph.

However, we’re still waiting for Roman Abramovich to put his hand in his pocket, while seemingly endless names in the game are trying to put Stones off the move—the latest being Jamie Carragher.

The former Liverpool man wrote in his column for the Daily Mail that staying with Everton will be best for Stones:

"

He should ignore the noise and stay right where is. The best place for him for the next two years is Goodison Park, working with Martinez. Will Stones play every week at Chelsea? No. He would have more of a chance at City or United but even then there would be no guarantee. The problem with playing as a centre back is that defenders don’t tend to get rotated—rightly so—and that could mean long periods out of the team. 

"

Stones could well be the quick fix that Mourinho needs; and as the transfer window goes on without Chelsea activity, the more temptation there will be for the Blues to launch a big bid.

Combine that with an top-drawer attacking midfielder making Stamford Bridge his home, and Chelsea suddenly look like a side that can defend their Premier League title.

Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports
United States v Japan - International Friendly
FIFA World Cup 2026 Venues - New York New Jersey Stadium

TRENDING ON B/R