Lyons Yellin of New Orleans' WWL-TV first reported Galette's release on July 24, which NFL Network's Ian Rapoport confirmed:
Evan Woodberry of the Times-Picayune provided Galette's thoughts on the release:
The worst call they've ever made. It was a terrible call to kick me when I'm down. Everything is Sean's call. He told me that himself. He's the one who pulls the trigger. I will forever love the Saints fans. They will always be my first love. I'm blessed and highly favored. I'm set for life. My mom's set for life. My son's set for life. This is not adversity. Adversity is getting kicked out of Temple with no money in your pocket. I'm in the best shape of my life. My reaction is that I've never felt better.
"When all is said and done, there was more expected from him off the field," Saints head coachSean Payton said during a July 28 appearance on Pro Football Talk Live, according to the team's official Twitter feed. “I wish him well and want to see him have success.”
ESPN's Mike Triplett provided a video Galette sent him the day after his release:
Bleacher Report's Matt Miller provided more insight into the decision with Team Stream Now:
In September 2014, the Saints signed Galette to a four-year contract extension worth up to $41.5 million. He's recorded 22 total sacks in the past two seasons, the most on the team during that span.
The 27-year-old has been in the news for all the wrong reasons this year. In January he was arrested and charged with domestic violence against a woman who claimed to be living with him, but the case was dismissed in February, according to Triplett.
In June, a YouTube video (warning: violent imagery) from 2013 came to light showing a man alleged to be Galette hitting a woman multiple times with a belt during a skirmish on a beach.
According to Larry Holder of the Times-Picayune, after the video gained traction, Galette's attorney Ralph Whalen told various media outlets the man in the video wasn't his client. Holder also claimed that the Saints knew of the video and sent it to the NFL offices.
Galette's playing status for 2015 has been uncertain, with Rapoport noting on Twitter that he recently had a meeting with NFL officials, who are still looking into the two off-field incidents. Holder added that the Saints have been wanting to get rid of Galette since his January arrest.
Nick Underhill of the Advocate gave credit to the Saints for releasing Galette and noted that it results in a $12 million cap hit:
NFL teams have become more cautious of the players they keep on their roster. Domestic violence has been one of the biggest issues facing the league over the last year, with big-name players like Ray Rice and Greg Hardy being hit with severe penalties.