
1 Summer Transfer Rumour Liverpool Fans Do Not Want to Come True
Given how negatively reports of Liverpool's interest in Christian Benteke have been received by supporters this summer, being assigned a headline such as this makes for a simple choice for the most unwanted transfer rumour involving the Reds.
The Aston Villa striker was reportedly made Liverpool's "No 1 target this summer" back in May, according to the Telegraph's Merseyside correspondent Chris Bascombe, among others.
Since then, it's been revealed that Benteke has a reported £32.5 million release clause—a clause Liverpool aren't prepared to meet.
TOP NEWS

Madrid Fines Players $590K 😲

'Mbappé Out' Petition Gaining Steam 😳

Star-Studded World Cup Ad 🤩

“There’s a buy-out clause in his contract so it will be impossible for us to stop him if he wants to go," explained Villa boss Tim Sherwood in May, as quoted by the Telegraph. "Someone’s got to meet that buy-out clause and if they don’t it won’t be considered because we don’t want to lose him."
But the overriding concern among Liverpool supporters is that the 6'2" Belgian isn't suited to the Reds' style of play—something even Sherwood admits.
"I think we cross more balls into the box than any club in the league and I think Christian says he feeds off crosses," said Sherwood. "There’s no point going to a club where they don’t cross the ball."
He certainly has a point. Liverpool's style is not one which suits a big target player who thrives off aerial balls. It is the reason Brendan Rodgers allowed Andy Carroll to leave the club so soon after being appointed as manager three years ago.
Indeed, according to WhoScored, last season Liverpool played the joint-fewest crosses per game, equal with Swansea City.
At £32 million, the 24-year-old would be another unsuited player signed from a team below Liverpool in the Premier League for a hugely inflated fee. Liverpool would have failed to have learnt from the mistakes of last summer when they paid over the odds for Dejan Lovren and Adam Lallana, and actually strengthened Southampton in the process.
"If anyone agrees to pay £32.5m for Benteke the FBI will want to follow the money trail.
— Tony Barrett (@TonyBarretTimes) May 30, 2015"
Style of play
Benteke's style is not one which complements Liverpool's existing talents, particularly Philippe Coutinho. The Brazilian playmaker struggled in the early stages of last season when he had no forwards ahead of him making runs in behind defenders. Only once Mario Balotelli was removed from the side was Coutinho able to thrive again.
Benteke is not going to be making runs in behind to profit from Coutinho's precise through balls. Liverpool should be signing a forward to suit Coutinho's style, not hinder him.

This isn't to say Benteke is a bad player, he clearly isn't—after all, he scored 12 goals in the last 12 games of the season for Villa, the same amount as the whole of the Liverpool side managed in their final 12 games of the campaign. But he simply doesn't suit Liverpool's style of play.
It's a concern shared by the Liverpool Echo's James Pearce, who told the Anfield HQ podcast as such (h/t This Is Anfield):
"“’ve got my doubts about whether Benteke is a suitable signing for Liverpool, and also whether they would be willing to bid high enough to convince Aston Villa to sell.
Liverpool value him at around £20 million, so I would be surprised if they triggered his £32 million release clause. Benteke wouldn’t fit the system, much like Andy Carroll.
"
Alternatives
The latest development in this story is reports over the weekend that Liverpool have now turned their attentions elsewhere—specifically to South American duo Carlos Bacca and Salomon Rondon.

Pearce explains that Liverpool value Benteke at £20 million and thus Sevilla's Bacca and Zenit St. Petersburg's Rondon "are among the names under consideration" instead.
Jason Burt of the Telegraph also claimed Liverpool are monitoring Spanish forward Fernando Llorente, but aged 30 and another player who would seem not to suit the Reds' style of play he seems very unlikely.
Of course, the question here is whether Liverpool have genuine interest in Bacca and Rondon, or if such interest is being reported in order to show Villa they have alternatives to Benteke.
Of these possible alternatives, Bacca would be the most suited and reportedly has a £21.5 million release clause.
The Colombian is a proven goalscorer, scoring 28 goals last season for Sevilla, a mobile and energetic centre-forward who has good work ethic outside of the box. Just what Liverpool need.
Bacca would be a far better option to Benteke, meaning Liverpool fans should be hoping Villa don't lower their asking price for the Belgian!



.jpg)







