
Chargers Draft Stock Watch: 5 Players Rising and Falling on San Diego's Board
San Diego's draft board is beginning to take shape with exactly 34 days until the big day in Chicago.
Players have already begun rising and falling as a result of combine performances and pro days. The combination of the two along with game film is what teams will use to determine each player's stock leading up to the draft. Players on the rise typically receive the most positive buzz, while declining prospects are subject to heavy criticism. Keeping an eye on stock will help the San Diego Chargers avoid getting burned.
Read on to find out which prospects have their arrows pointing up or down for the Chargers.
Rising: OLB Bud Dupree
1 of 5
The decision to not pursue another contract with free agent Dwight Freeney, along with Jarret Johnson's retirement last month, may have saved the Chargers a couple of million dollars in cap space, but it leaves them with a glaring need at outside linebacker.
Expectations are high for Melvin Ingram and Jeremiah Attaochu, whom the team spent high draft picks on in previous years, but for different reasons, neither has proved himself capable of being a consistent pass-rusher. Ingram has had setbacks with injuries, while Attaochu showed little to desire his rookie season.
For those reasons, San Diego is at least considering an edge-rusher in the draft. According to Jen Smith of the Lexington Herald-Leader, the Chargers were among the teams Bud Dupree met with at Kentucky's pro day.
"Chargers, Bengals, 49ers all in talks with Dupree, he said. There were more he couldn't remember.
— Jen Smith (@jenheraldleader) March 12, 2015"
Dupree, who weighs close to 270 pounds, left an impression on potential employers at the combine with a 4.56 in the 40-yard dash and a 42-inch vertical jump. He led the Wildcats with 7.5 sacks in 2014 and finished with 23.5 for his career.
Falling: DT Eddie Goldman
2 of 5
The first two versions of Todd McShay's mock draft on ESPN had Eddie Goldman going to the Chargers, but he and colleague Mel Kiper Jr. agree Malcom Brown is the better fit at defensive tackle, at least for now. Brown has the benefit of the doubt, having participated in both the combine and his pro day at Texas. Meanwhile, Goldman chose not to work out in Indianapolis and is awaiting Florida State's pro day on March 31.
Until he gets the opportunity to showcase his physical abilities in a few days, Goldman will remain second fiddle to Brown. San Diego could be forced to choose between the two if defensive line is a priority on Day 1.
Rising: QB Marcus Mariota
3 of 5
The growing concern regarding the future of Philip Rivers is that a potential move to Los Angeles would impede progress on an extension with the five-time Pro Bowl quarterback. In an interview with Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune, Rivers is certain he'll finish out the final year of his contract but offers no guarantee he'll re-sign past that point:
"What I can control and all I know as of today, I am signed up for one more year,” he said. “I guess things could change, but with all the uncertainty in many aspects, I don’t see it changing before camp gets here, and when camp gets here I’m even more certain to play it out.
What we’ve established here with my growing family is hard to recreate,” he said. “It’s hard to up and recreate that. I know that moves are part of life. But that certainly is fair to say that (not being sold on moving to Los Angeles) is part of it. The good thing is I’m not under contract in a year where we’d potentially be in Los Angeles.
"
Once the media caught wind of his remarks, rumors of a draft-day trade for Rivers spread like wildfire, including in Will Brinson's mock draft for CBS Sports. One rumor in particular that seems to be getting the most attention involves the Tennessee Titans and the No. 2 overall pick. And for that reason, Marcus Mariota could be moving up San Diego's board.
The Chargers have denied any interest in trading Rivers, and general manager Tom Telesco is hopeful on getting a deal done. He told ESPN.com's Eric Williams, "He's our guy. Like I've said before, we'd like to extend him. And when he's ready to do that, we'll get moving on it."
In any case, the Heisman Trophy winner is still scheduled for a workout with the Chargers on April 15. They'll do their homework on the Oregon product and go from there.
Falling: OL La'El Collins
4 of 5
Make no mistake about it: La'el Collins will be a high draft pick come April, but results of free agency may have caused the LSU product to fall on San Diego's board despite a meet-up at the combine. The Chargers re-signed King Dunlap at left tackle and added Orlando Franklin to play left guard, lowering the demand for an offensive lineman in the first round.
Florida tackle D.J. Humphries, who has a visit scheduled with San Diego, may also be affected.
The right side of the line still has some questions with the struggling play of Johnnie Troutman and, at times, D.J. Fluker, but the team could choose to address that issue in the mid-to-late rounds.
Rising: RB Todd Gurley
5 of 5
A running back to the Chargers in Round 1 is almost unanimous in recent mock drafts, and yet coach Mike McCoy insists they can win with the three guys they have in place (Danny Woodhead, Donald Brown and Branden Oliver).
Corporate answer or honest truth? You decide.
Todd Gurley has been given the slight edge over Melvin Gordon by some draft experts despite his ongoing rehab from a torn ACL. If Gurley checks out fine medically, San Diego could be getting a true three-down back, according to Bucky Brooks of NFL.com, who lists the Chargers as one of five fits for Gurley's talents. The Georgia standout isn't afraid to bang with defenders either, as he managed more than 60 percent of his rushing yardage after contact.
Running back has to be a top priority to compensate for the loss of Ryan Mathews in free agency.
.jpg)



.png)





