NFLNBANHLMLBWNBARoland-GarrosSoccer
Featured Video
Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢
Liverpool's Raheem Sterling, center, runs with the ball  during the English League Cup semi-final first leg soccer match between Liverpool and Chelsea at Anfield Stadium, Liverpool, England, Tuesday Jan. 20, 2015. (AP Photo/Jon Super)
Liverpool's Raheem Sterling, center, runs with the ball during the English League Cup semi-final first leg soccer match between Liverpool and Chelsea at Anfield Stadium, Liverpool, England, Tuesday Jan. 20, 2015. (AP Photo/Jon Super)Jon Super/Associated Press

Chelsea Transfer News: Raheem Sterling, Juan Cuadrado and Top Blues Rumours

Nick AkermanJan 26, 2015

Chelsea are reportedly ready to pounce after Raheem Sterling allegedly turned down Liverpool's latest contract extension.

Ben Jefferson of the Daily Express believes the Blues and Real Madrid are interested in luring the Englishman away from Anfield. Jefferson suggests Sterling has already turned down £70,000 per week and treated an "improved offer" with "disdain."

It is also indicated Sterling may be willing to play on reported interest from other clubs to ensure his new deal breaks the £100,000-per-week mark. Sterling recently scored a cracking solo goal against Chelsea and will be hoping to underline his quality when Liverpool visit Stamford Bridge during Tuesday's Capital One Cup semi-final second leg.

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports

Sterling could become an alternative target to Fiorentina winger Juan Cuadrado or Shakhtar Donetsk forward Douglas Costa, two players Blues manager Jose Mourinho has been unable to land so far this window.

Vincenzo Guerini, Fiorentina's manager, recently suggested nobody is in for Cuadrado, as reported by Sky Sport (h/t Gianluca Di Marzio): "Cuadrado? In modern football there is the risk of losing him, but we're ready for any contingency. At the moment there is nothing, he's happy here and he recently extended his contract. We're prepared in case he leaves, but at moment he's happy in Florence."

Sky Sports' sources believe Cuadrado "has made it clear he wants to join Chelsea," but Viola president Andrea Della Valle recently told Fiorentina's official website (h/t Sky Sports): "I hope he will stay with us for a long time."

Football writer Duncan Castles believes Mourinho "has identified Moussa Sissoko" as an alternative to Cuadrado or Costa, as noted in his article for Goal.com. The all-action Newcastle midfielder was recently linked with Arsenal, per an interview on French TV show Telefoot (via Sky Sports), and he could be set to earn a move after developing into one of the Magpies' most important players. He is quick, powerful and offers the work ethic Mourinho loves to employ.

B/R UK's Ryan Bailey and Garry Hayes recently sat down to discuss potential Chelsea signings:

Mourinho has to decide whether he will extend striker Didier Drogba's contract beyond the season. The Ivorian legend recently confirmed he wishes to remain at Stamford Bridge, although the 36-year-old understands he isn't getting any younger, per Di Marzio (via football analyst David Amoyal):

Chelsea continue to be linked with exciting, athletic players who can make things happen. Although the link to Sterling seems unlikely, his swash-buckling style is indicative of what Mourinho is reported to be looking for. That said, Cuadrado has experience playing on either flank and as a full-back, the kind of attributes which would pad out the Portuguese manager's squad.

Although a historic quadruple is no longer possible after Chelsea exited the FA Cup to Bradford on Saturday, supporters will be hoping extra strength is brought in before the Feb. 2 deadline to aid the club's chances of winning the treble.

Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports
United States v Japan - International Friendly
FIFA World Cup 2026 Venues - New York New Jersey Stadium

TRENDING ON B/R