
Sorry FA Cup Tale Has Newcastle United Problems Laid Bare
New manager—a caretaker one at any rate—same old story as far as Newcastle United are concerned.
After a week of behind-the-scenes posturing, Alan Pardew departed Newcastle for Crystal Palace, per the BBC—while his old side prepared for an FA Cup trip to Leicester City.
The FA Cup, lest we forget, is arguably football’s most famous knockout competition and is the most recent piece of silverware to enter the, now extremely dusty, Newcastle trophy cabinet (we’re not including the Fairs Cup and Intertoto Cup).
TOP NEWS

Madrid Fines Players $590K 😲

'Mbappé Out' Petition Gaining Steam 😳

Star-Studded World Cup Ad 🤩
It was back in 1955 that Newcastle lifted the FA Cup. There are few Magpies fans who will be able to remember Jackie Milburn and Co. seeing off Manchester City at Wembley.
What the current crop of Magpies fans will be able to recall, all too clearly, is their club’s lack of appetite to challenge for cup glory.

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley has made no secret that his priority is to see the team survive in the Premier League. That is, after all, where the money is. A businessman as successful as Ashley knows that all too well.
The fans, though, do not see their club as a business. They see their club as the heartbeat of the city, and want to see the team perform to their best in whatever competition they enter (that would include the Fairs Cup and Intertoto Cup if they still existed).
Magpies caretaker boss John Carver had a chance to make an early statement with an FA Cup third round trip to Leicester.
Carver spoke positively ahead of the game per a report from the Daily Star’s Ian Murtagh. When asked if it had been made clear that the cup was not a priority and that key players should be rested, he said: "I have not been told that.
"I know exactly how much it means to the fans to have a cup run because I am one of them.”
Carver’s words were positive, and yes he had injuries such as the season-ending blow to Steven Taylor, but his team-sheet spoke far more.
"#NUFC v @OfficialFOXES (4-3-3): Alnwick; Santon, Williamson, Dummett, Haidara; Anita, Tioté (c), Vučkić; Armstrong, Rivière, Cabella.
— Newcastle United FC (@NUFC) January 3, 2015"
Newcastle trotted out at the King Power Stadium without captain Fabricio Coloccini, in-form forward Ayoze Perez and standout midfielders Jack Colback and Moussa Sissoko to name but four first-choice players.
"#nufc lived up to all suspicions and gave up on #FACup. Weakened team. Don't believe the injury excuses. Big mistake from Carver and co.
— Simon Bird (@SimonBird_) January 3, 2015"
Fan anger was also evident:
"Injuries or not, Carver should be ashamed of putting out that team & bench today, what's he saving them for, a late push on the top 4? #nufc
— Dave Binks (@whyayeman1955) January 3, 2015"
With the club well placed to secure the “target” of Premier League survival, they are in 10th place with 27 points, a trip to Leicester was the opportunity to set up a cup run.
Not for a minute am I saying Newcastle were on course to lift the trophy at Wembley in May, but they had a chance to give the fans a cup run.
That did not happen, as a goal from Leonardo Ulloa handed the Foxes a place in the fourth round.

Leicester made changes of their own, but they are rock bottom of the Premier League and in greater need of handing key players a break.
It was not as if Newcastle went down all guns blazing, laying siege to the Leicester goal and coming up agonisingly short.
The Magpies fashioned little by way of a threat after falling behind, and the margin of defeat could have been far greater but for fine saves from Jak Alnwick to deny Chris Wood, Marc Albrighton and Jamie Vardy.
So what next for Newcastle?
Carver has said he is keen to take the job on a permanent basis, per Neil Cameron of the Evening Chronicle.
Pardew was never the most popular figure on Tyneside, but Carver already has bridges to build with the fans. Fan power, though, will have no say at St James' Park.
It is Ashley who will have the final say. And that is the stark reality that has left Newcastle fans so angry.



.jpg)







