NFLNBANHLMLBWNBARoland-GarrosSoccer
Featured Video
Pep's Legacy Another Level 😤

Manchester United Transfer Rumours: Buzz on Midfield Search and Wayne Rooney

Tyler ConwayMay 31, 2018

It seems Manchester United have finally decided to enter the 2013 summer transfer window.

The Premier League champs have been uncharacteristically quiet this summer, the year that will forever be known as the first without Sir Alex Ferguson since 1986. New manager David Moyes has made it quite clear he's happy with the current setup by the lack of major acquisitions.

However, no summer goes by without United making at least one notable strike. Last year, the Red Devils made one of their biggest splashes in history, acquiring striker Robin van Persie from Arsenal. The Dutch striker went on to lead the Premier League in goals scored, becoming one last present to Old Trafford from the legendary Ferguson. 

TOP NEWS

Chelsea v Manchester City - Emirates FA Cup Final

Grading Top Coach Decisions 💭

United States v Portugal - International Friendly

Predicting USMNT Roster 🔮

BRAZIL-COLOMBIA-MUSIC

Messi Stars in Shakira Vid 🤩

While it seems unlikely that United will make such a signing this summer—though not impossible, per the Daily Star, right Mr. Ronaldo?—Moyes will have to do something before September to solidify his starting roster. United had problems in their midfield last season, and those remain. And if recent reports are any indication, they might be down one big-time striker going forward.

Suffice it to say, even if we're late in the window, things are still mighty interesting at Old Trafford—and stand to remain so. These situations are fluid, with major movements being one confirmation away from taking place.

How close are the Red Devils to making these moves? Here is a quick look at the latest rumors and speculation coming out of the weekend.

Rooney to Put in Written Transfer Request This Week?

Remember that big-time striker who could be on the move? Yeah, we all knew to whom I was alluding. Wayne Rooney's name has been in the gossip rags the entire summer, his future plans seemingly changing by the minute.

The Old Trafford mainstay was once seen as an irreplaceable franchise cog, the type of player younger fans spoke of fondly when complimenting their favorite club. There were many who saw Rooney as this generation's answer to guys like Ryan Giggs, ones who fathers and sons could both say they watched wear a red jersey.

It's funny how much things can change in 12 months. Now it seems the relationship between the 27-year-old forward and his club has reached the point of no return. According to a report from Neil Ashton and Chris Miller of the Daily Mail, Rooney will file his formal transfer request papers this week if United don't honor his wish to go to Chelsea:

"

Rooney reiterated his determination to quit Old Trafford during crunch talks with new United manager David Moyes over the weekend. United’s Barclays Premier League clash with Chelsea on August 26 is a delicate issue ahead of his potential transfer, but Rooney’s heart is set on the move and he has told teammates he does not want to play abroad.

"

Chelsea have been linked to the Liverpool native all summer long. The Blues made a commitment to be a major player during this summer's window when they brought Jose Mourinho back to Stamford Bridge for a second stint. Unfortunately for Mourinho, Chelsea have been stopped every step of the way in their major signings—leaving Rooney as the golden goose.

The report says Chelsea have made a £25 million offer (£23 million in cash, plus £2.5 million in additional fees) for Rooney, and they are preparing an even bigger one. There's no way £25 million will get the job done regardless of any untenable circumstances.

But if Rooney is truly committed to leaving Old Trafford, this is a deal that should get done. Van Persie's presence makes him somewhat expendable from a personnel perspective, and Moyes does not want this distraction looming over his first season at manager. Then again, being the man who sold Wayne Rooney doesn't sound like too fun a job either. 

Cesc Fabregas Hunt Still Ongoing, Bastian Schweinsteiger Looming as Backup Plan?

Rooney ugliness aside, the Red Devils have holes on their roster that don't pertain to the No. 10 shirt. I speak, of course, of the midfield, a source of criticism at Old Trafford even through a championship season.

Defending the league title is one thing. Each Premier League side has some level of deficiency despite more proof by the minute that the kitty for these clubs knows no bounds. But Manchester United have different goals. They haven't been out of the round of 16 in the Champions League in three years and haven't hoisted the trophy since Cristiano Ronaldo was wearing red.

Manchester United fans are loyal. They're not patient. These failures in the world's most competitive league won't fly, not under a man who will already face a decent level of criticism for not having the last name Ferguson. 

So it's safe to say Moyes will be making some move to fortify the midfield this summer. The who in that equation remains up for discussion. Barcelona's Cesc Fabregas has been linked to Manchester off and on throughout the transfer window, with no one quite sure whether he was free to stay or go. The 26-year-old midfielder returned to his youth club in 2011 on a transfer from Arsenal.

However, the possibility of a Premier League return could be intriguing for the man who became a superstar in England. For now, the situation remains a situation of he said, he said. The latest BBC report claims Manchester United remain undaunted in their flirtation with Fabregas despite already having two bids rebuffed. It's possible that United would have to go over their record fee to make this deal happen.

Knowing that situation may not resolve itself in time for the season, Moyes has already been working on a secondary plan. Simon Mullock of the Mirror noted the Red Devils have started putting feelers out about Bayern Munich standout Bastian Schweinsteiger as a backup plan. The 29-year-old German has been a mainstay in Bayern throughout his career, but his standing with the club going forward remains murky.

Pep Guardiola took over the Bundesliga giants this summer, hoping to bring the same success he once did to Barcelona. But his style is expected to be far different than that of Jupp Heynckes, the man under whom Schweinsteiger developed into a star. 

Should Fabregas fall through, United may be in the right place at the right time with their secondary option. 

Follow Tyler Conway on Twitter: 

Pep's Legacy Another Level 😤

TOP NEWS

Chelsea v Manchester City - Emirates FA Cup Final

Grading Top Coach Decisions 💭

United States v Portugal - International Friendly

Predicting USMNT Roster 🔮

BRAZIL-COLOMBIA-MUSIC

Messi Stars in Shakira Vid 🤩

Albania v England - FIFA World Cup 2026 Qualifier

Sick England Squad Vid 🎶

Chelsea v Manchester City - Emirates FA Cup Final

🚨 Guardiola Confirms Exit

Saturday Night Main Event Live Grades 🔠
Bleacher Report9h

Saturday Night Main Event Live Grades 🔠

Multiple titles on the line in Indy 📲

TRENDING ON B/R