NFLNBANHLMLBWNBARoland-GarrosSoccer
Featured Video
🚨 Knicks Up 3-0 vs. Cavs

Jose Aldo: Fighters Shouldn't 'Talk Their Way into the Title'

Scott HarrisJun 7, 2018

UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo may have just whistled one past the proverbial earhole of challenger Frankie Edgar in anticipation of their Feb. 2 bout at UFC 156.

Though the two have, to this point, engaged in only a mild war of words, Aldo made the general observation during a media conference call Monday that he felt fighters should earn title shots. That could very well have been a veiled swipe at Edgar, who is challenging for the featherweight title in his debut at 145 pounds. 

"It doesn't bother me," Aldo said through translator Ed Soares during a UFC 156 media conference call covered by Bleacher Report. "Each person has to try to find a way to create opportunities for themselves in their careers...everybody should go out there and fight and go through opponents, not talk their way into the title."

TOP NEWS

Harold And Carole Pump Foundation 25th Anniversary Celebrity Dinner

Johnny Manziel wins MMA debut

Dallas Wings v Indiana Fever

Lance Stephenson Subs Michael Beasley 😱

68th GRAMMY Awards - 2026 Recording Academy Honors Presented By The Black Music Collective

Ray J Gets Brutally KO'd 🫢

Aldo went on to flash a bit of his own trash when asked if he thought Edgar, the UFC's former lightweight title holder, won his rematch last summer with current lightweight champ Benson Henderson. Henderson took the decision following a close five-round fight, but many fans and observers believed the decision should have gone to Edgar.

"Not only have I watched it, I've watched it many times," Aldo said through his interpreter. "I do believe that Henderson was better that night."

Also during the call, Aldo squashed any rumors that he is, at least currently, considering a move to lightweight.

"Right now, my focus is strictly on the fight at UFC 156," Aldo said through the interpreter. "I'm 100 percent focused on the fight and giving my best. Once that's over, I'll sit back and think about what my next options will be."

Aldo (21-1) will defend his UFC title for the fourth time at UFC 156. He is known for a well-rounded game, but is particularly feared for his striking skills, particularly a brutal leg-kick attack that has previously felled the likes of former WEC champ Urijah Faber.

Edgar (14-3-1) pointed to Aldo's striking as a threat, but said he respected all phases of Aldo's game.

"He has a lot of tools, especially with his striking," Edgar said on the media conference call. "He has great takedown defense, too. I can't just point out one thing. He's well-rounded."

Scott Harris is a featured columnist at Bleacher Report. All quotes obtained firsthand unless noted otherwise.

🚨 Knicks Up 3-0 vs. Cavs

TOP NEWS

Harold And Carole Pump Foundation 25th Anniversary Celebrity Dinner

Johnny Manziel wins MMA debut

Dallas Wings v Indiana Fever

Lance Stephenson Subs Michael Beasley 😱

68th GRAMMY Awards - 2026 Recording Academy Honors Presented By The Black Music Collective

Ray J Gets Brutally KO'd 🫢

UFC Freedom 250 Press Conference

UFC Unveils White House Renderings

Fox's "Special Forces" Red Carpet

Manziel-Menery Fight Details 📝

Cavs May Make Major Changes
Bleacher Report5h

Cavs May Make Major Changes

web

TRENDING ON B/R