NFLNBANHLMLBWNBARoland-GarrosSoccer
Featured Video
Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢

World Football Gossip Roundup: Balotelli Ban, Seedorf's Future, Holt for England

Michael CummingsJun 7, 2018

Variety is the word of the day here at the B/R world football gossip roundup.

Today we bring you reports on Mario Balotelli and his potential ban, Clarence Seedorf and his future with AC Milan, Manchester United and their quest for another keeper and Grant Holt and his chances at representing England this summer at Euro 2012.

All that and a few more goodies inside.

Let's get right to it.

Nine Games for Balotelli?

1 of 8

Referee Martin Atkinson somehow failed to spot Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli's studs-up challenge on Alex Song during Arsenal's 1-0 win Sunday at the Emirates.

The FA saw it. And they're reportedly ready to hand down a nine-match ban.

From the Daily Mail:

"

Balotelli was sent off anyway late in the defeat by Arsenal for a second yellow card. He already misses one game for that sending off and an extra two because it was his third red of the season.

He has been shown two reds on the pitch, plus another retrospective ban for his stamp on Tottenham's Scott Parker.

He could be banned for a further three games for the Song tackle and then for another three because that would count as his fourth red.

"

The report also says Balotelli's teammates are "sick and tired" of the Italian striker. Balotelli, of course, thinks City still want to keep him and is reportedly asking to discuss his future.

Mancini's Six-Game Season

2 of 8

In other Manchester City news, under-pressure manager Roberto Mancini's fate will reportedly depend on the team's results over the next six matches.

"

Roberto Mancini is fighting for his future as the Manchester City manager. The Italian needs a convincing finish to the season to strengthen his case for a new contract.

Although there will be no kneejerk reaction from Sheikh Mansour, the City owner, or the chairman, Khaldoon al-Mubarak, who admire the Italian, Mancini is conscious that a further capitulation by his side would leave his long-term job prospects in the balance.

Formal talks between the club's hierarchy and Mancini regarding a new deal have always been scheduled to commence at the end of the season, in May. Mancini's contract has only a year remaining.

"

City trail Manchester United by eight points with six matches left.

Seedorf to Juventus?

3 of 8

Veteran Dutch midfielder Clarence Seedorf is expected to leave AC Milan after the season, and rivals Juventus are reportedly interested.

From Goal.com:

"

The Old Lady are looking to add more experience to their squad as they prepare for next year's Champions League, and it is believed that they see the 36-year-old Seedorf - who has won European club football's elite competition four times - as the perfect addition to their midfield.

Seedorf has been linked with a transfer to MLS and Brazil, but Juventus are reportedly hopeful of persuading the midfielder to stay in Italy.

"

Seedorf, 36, has played for Milan since 2002.

Juventus signed Andrea Pirlo, a former Milan player, in 2011. Earlier this week Pirlo was reportedly wooing Milan defender Alessandro Nesta.

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports

Grant Holt for England?

4 of 8

Norwich winger Elliott Bennett thinks his teammate Grant Holt should represent England this summer at Euro 2012.

We think Holt should celebrate every goal like Steve Holt.

That's according to talkSport:

"

Fans love to moan after a tournament when England don’t do too well and say ‘you’re just taking the same old players’,” Bennett told Call Collymore.

“If you’re talking about picking players on form, then why not [take him]? He’s the second highest English scorer in the Premier league, behind Wayne Rooney, why not take him?

“He’s definitely worth a shot, different players have had one and he deserves one.”

"

With 13 goals, Holt is currently the top-scoring Englishman in the Premier League behind Wayne Rooney.

Rooney is banned for the first two matches of the tournament.

Arsenal Poised for Title Challenge?

5 of 8

In other speculative gossip, Arsenal defender Thomas Vermaelen has reportedly said the Gunners could challenge for the title next season.

"

"In some games we have shown a lot of quality and that we can compete with everybody," said Vermaelen. "But you have to be consistent in the league and sometimes that's not been the case for us. But we will try to do that better next year. I'm confident we can do that.

"

Elsewhere in Arsenal news, on-loan Mexican forward Carlos Vela has reportedly said he'd like to stay with Real Sociedad.

Kuyt Back to Feyenoord?

6 of 8

Liverpool's Dirk Kuyt could be heading back to Feyenoord, the club he left in 2006.

That's according to Goal.com, which cites a report from Voetbal International.

"

However, it is thought that Kuyt's top salary at Liverpool is the key obstacle in denying the move - thanks to Feyenoord's tight financial restrictions - and he would seemingly need to accept a significant pay cut if he were to move away from Anfield.

Kuyt has said in the past that one day he would like to return to the Rotterdam-based club and after being offered little in the way of first-team action under Kenny Dalglish, Voetbal International believe a summer transfer could be on the cards.

"

Kuyt scored 71 goals in 101 appearances with Feyenoord from 2003-06, according to Goal.com.

City to Lose Young Star?

7 of 8

How's this for a change? Manchester City could lose a young star to a big-money club.

Mirror Football explains:

"

Barcelona want Manchester City’s highly rated academy prospect Ashley Smith-Brown to switch to the Nou Camp.

The teenage wing-back, who can play on the left or the right, caught the eye of Barca scouts when he played for England’s Under-16 side against Spain in February, and the Catalan Giants are keen to recruit him for their legendary­ La Masia academy.

"

Arsenal and Chelsea are also interested in 16-year-old Smith-Brown, according to the report.

United Chasing Another Keeper?

8 of 8

David De Gea has finally established himself as a solid No. 1 for Manchester United. But United are reportedly interested in signing goalkeeper Jack Butland from Birmingham City.

Butland, 19, is an England U-19 international. He is valued at around £3 million.

Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports
United States v Japan - International Friendly
FIFA World Cup 2026 Venues - New York New Jersey Stadium

TRENDING ON B/R