
Alex Bregman is Astros' 'No. 1 Priority' in MLB Free Agency, Joe Espada Says
Houston Astros manager Joe Espada's top priority is keeping third baseman Alex Bregman in an Astros uniform.
"(Alex Bregman) is our No. 1 priority and I think that we're going to do everything in our power for him to put that Astros uniform on and never again put another uniform on," Espada said on MLB Tonight.
TOP NEWS

Most Down-Bad Sports Cities 😵

Assessing Every MLB Team's Development System ⚾
.png)
10 Scorching MLB Takes 🌶️
The 30-year-old out of LSU has spent all nine of his professional years with the Astros, earning a Gold Glove with the team in 2024 and a Silver Slugger in 2019.
He has a career total of 191 home runs, 663 RBI and a .272 batting average. Last season, he hit 26 home runs with 75 RBI and a .260 batting average for the 88-73 Astros, who finished first in the AL West.
According to MLB.com's Brian McTaggart, sources revealed that the Astros offered Bregman a six-year deal worth approximately $156 million last week, which would set a franchise record for the largest contract in team history. However, Bregman is believed to be seeking a deal closer to $200 million.
Fellow Astros teammate Jose Altuve urged the organization to re-sign Bregman at the end of the season. While Astros owner Jim Crane acknowledged Altuve's plea, he remains cautious about committing to long-term contracts, sticking to strategies that have proven successful in the past.
"You have to be cognizant of that because the longer the contracts on the back end, it gets difficult to carry it and you decrease your ability to be competitive when you've got a lot of money tied up," Crane said in November, per McTaggart. "We have some money coming off the payroll next year, as you well know. We run it like a business, and we make good decisions."
After superstar Juan Soto officially left the market on Sunday night, the Astros are not the only team pursuing Bregman, who is now one of the most valuable assets available.
Meanwhile, the Boston Red Sox are shifting gears after missing out on Soto and are now interested in pivoting toward Bregman.
"Per sources, one of the players the Red Sox might immediately be prioritizing is Alex Bregman," Rob Bradford of Audacy said, via Sports Illustrated's Jackson Roberts. "The longtime Astro - who will be 31 years old on Opening Day in 2025 - would necessitate surrendering a draft pick since he was tagged with a qualifying offer by Houston. But Bregman does check off a lot of key boxes for the Sox."
The right-hander would be an ideal fit for the Red Sox if he could transition to second base, with Red Sox star Rafael Devers anchoring third. The team struggled with talent at the second base position last season.
"He hits from the right side, could slide in as the Sox' starting second baseman, a position he is open to playing, and represents the type of veteran leadership the Red Sox are looking to add, particularly among the position player group," Roberts said.



.jpg)






