X

Floyd Mayweather Jr. Estimates He Will Make $50-$100M for Logan Paul Fight

Adam WellsJune 6, 2021

MARCO BELLO/AFP via Getty Images

If anyone was curious why Floyd Mayweather Jr. would take part in an eight-round exhibition against Logan Paul that won't have any impact on the boxing legend's official record, the answer is money. 

Mayweather told Sports Illustrated's Chris Mannix that he estimates he will walk away from Sunday's bout with between $50-100 million more in his bank account. 

“My nickname is ‘Money’ for a reason,” Mayweather said. “I worked extremely hard for years and years to get to a certain level. A level where we can start calling everything an event.”

Mayweather went so far as to tell Mannix that his bout with Paul is “legalized bank robbery.”

The 44-year-old said he first got the idea for the fight against Paul in 2019 when the YouTube celebrity paid $1.5 million to spar with him:

“So then, I said, ‘Well, if you can get me $1.5 million like this, and then this guy got 18 or 19 million followers and he's huge on YouTube,’ I said, ‘Well, let's do it like this, let's take it to the next level.' Let's build this thing and put it in a football stadium. So we were going to fight in the Raider's stadium. Nevada commissioner said they didn't want it. So then I said, ‘OK, let's take it to Miami.’ Miami said, ‘Let's do it.' So now we're here.”

The fight has a number of unique rules since it's not being sanctioned by the Florida State Boxing Commission because of the significant weight difference between the two competitors. 

Mayweather can't weigh in at more than 160 pounds, while Paul can't weigh in at more than 190 pounds. 

As a result, there will be no judges and no official winner will be announced. Knockouts are permitted and a potential stoppage is at the referee's discretion. The fight will consist of eight three-minute rounds. 

Mayweather and Paul will square off Sunday at 8 p.m. ET from Hard Rock Stadium. 

🚨 SPORTS NEWS ➡️ YOUR INBOX

The latest in the sports world, emailed daily.