Before the pre-season started, popular opinion had young Peter Regin playing the second line along side Mike Fisher and Alexei Kovalev. Nick Foligno is making his case though for the position, having scored four highlight-reels goals in only three pre-season games so far.
“I guess if you evaluate the last few games he would be (the front-runner),” said coach Cory Clouston. “But he’s got to make sure he doesn’t get complacent, and the lines are never set in stone.”
Foligno knows that the second line position is something that has to be earned. “It's just a matter of going out there and doing it. It's a process and there's a lot of great players and a lot of guys pushing for that opportunity.”
Foligno is coming off an injury-riddled season in Ottawa that saw him play only 61 games and earn only nine goals and 17 assists for 26 points. His best season totals have come in 2008-09, where he scored 17 goals and 15 assists for 32 points in 81 games.
More Sens Stories
- Making a case for Peter Regin to play on the second line - Yahoo Sports
- Young Senator Zack Smith is breathing easier after surviving roster split at Senators camp - Montreal Gazette
- With Mike Fisher leaving practice with a groin-pull, the Sens continue to shuffle the lines - Globe & Mail
- The Senators practice line-up most likely reveals who has a chance to stay with the big-league team - Ottawa Citizen
- A sad end to former Sens Wade Redden NHL career as the Rangers demote him to the AHL, most likely for good - Senators Extra
- Daniel Alfredsson feels for his former teammate Redden and offers some advice - Ottawa Sun
- Should NHL teams have Canadian player quotas? Let the arguing begin! - Puck Daddy
- Canadian hockey snobbery apparently has no bounds: some thoughts on the Canadian player quota - Black Aces
- Is the third line of Jarkko Ruutu, Chris Neil and Chris Kelly untouchable? - Ottawa Citizen
- In case you haven't heard yet, Mike Fisher makes an appearance in Carrie Underwood's new music video - Bleacher Report
- Former Sens player Brad Marsh and other NHL alumni make kids smile at Hockeyville in Dundas, Ontario - NHL
- An Ottawa Senators roster report - CBS Sports
- Goaltender Mike Brodeur and defenceman André Benoit have been placed on waivers plus the debate over Foligno or Regin continues - Sens Chirp
- Clearing up the Senators' logjam on defence - Silver Seven
- 10 pre-season thoughts on the Ottawa Senators - SenSay
- Want to express your sentiments or favorite memories of former Sens Anton Volchenkov? Here's the place to go - The 6th Sens
- Thoughts on David Hale, roster cuts, Mike Brodeur, and tonight's game in Hockeyville - SenShot
Christopher Smith runs senspedia.com, an Ottawa Senators fan site.