NHL Breeze: Aug.21, Featuring--Ovie Interview & Shocking Kaberle Twist
NHL Breeze: Aug.21, Morning Edition
Before we begin, ***NHL Fantasy Analysis*** brought to you by Joseph Trenton & Todd Cordell now available: Atlanta Thrashers section featured now!
Follow Joseph Trenton and Todd Cordell's writer's page closely everyday to get caught up to all 30 teams for your NHL Fantasy success this season.
To begin the day, I just want to wish a Happy Birthday to you!
Also Happy birthdays to:
1. Bryan Allen, 30, Florida Panthers. Originally drafted 4th overall in 1998 by the Vancouver Canucks.
Today’s NHL news and notes:
- Toronto Maple Leafs General Manager Brian Burke among many in favour of the hybrid icing rule
- Luke Schenn is glad Kaberle returns, but Kaberle and his dad now reportedly saying his son Tomas does not want to play for Ron Wilson. He is not alone. Trade is a welcomed possibility.
- Condolences to Shea Weber’s family who lost Mrs. Weber to a long battle with brain tumor.
- Canucks training camp is between Sept.12-16 in Penticton, B.C. Many other teams are hosting training camp the same time.
- Bill Sweatt opened his own Twitter account. Many NHLers are catching on to the new technology @billySweatt
- Willie Mitchell will make his decision after the weekend is over. VAN, LA, SJ, WAS in hunt.
- Alexander Ovechkin said of course he will play in the NHL and not the KHL, it’s every player’s dream…in his interview about the KHL on Radio Sport.
- Ovechkin also talked about KHL not honouring their salary promised and rightfully owed to players. “There is also a deception. Look at what is happening with Lada Togliatti – it is a disgrace. In America it is difficult to imagine not paying people their salary.”
- Pittsburgh Penguins signed Arron Asham to a 1-year contract Friday.
- Washington Capital and the Canucks are reported to be discussing about a possible trade with Fleischmann going to Vancouver for Kevin Bieksa or to Edmonton for Sheldon Souray.
- Vancouver Canucks who skated at the rink today include Edler, Malhotra, Tochkin, Ellington, Volpatti, Cannauton. Dave Babych is running skating drills for the guys.
- Friday, Atlanta Thrashers held an informal skate, Boulton, Thorburn, Cormier, Burmistrov, Mason, Pavelec, Valabik were present.
- ESPN says that Blues defenseman Barret Jackman is in the trade market. Blues probably want another defenseman coming back to fill a void.
- Bruins will not trade Marc Savard. Darren Dreger reports. Makes sense since Krejci, Bergeron, and Seguin isn’t 1st line centres just yet. No point of trading away a top player.
- Bill Sweatt, represented by player agent, Scott Norton, signs a 3-year entry level contract with the Vancouver Canucks late Thursday. He will join his brother Lee Sweatt to the Canucks organization. Bill is an extremely gifted skater, and good offensive player.
- Viktor Tikhonov of Coyotes will return to the NHL this season, but he has requested a trade.
- Doug Armstrong recently had phone conversations with Bill Sweatt, trying to attract him to Blues, but obviously didn’t pan out.
- Alex Edler said to Canucks TV’s Kristin Reid that his ankle is not bothering him anymore, and he’s here to get prepared for the new season. He said Sami Salo will be missed, but he will be welcomed back as soon as he’s healthy. Edler said he’s a big lost, because Salo is “one of the better Ds in the league.”
- Expect numerous rule changes to the NHL this coming season after a comprehensive and in-depth experiment that is happening this week. Icing among the key issues.
- UFA defenseman Freddy Meyer signs a 2-way deal with the Atlanta Thrashers. The Sanbornville, New Hampshire product played 64 games with the New York Islanders last season averaging 16:46 t.o.i per game. Great bargain for the Thrashers.
- Florida Panthers matched the Thrashers move by signing tough guy LW Andrew Peters to a 1-year deal today.
- Steve Nash’s brother-in-law and Canucks newcomer Manny Malhotra said GM Mike Gillis and coach Alain Vigneault expects him to play both the wing and centre on the Canucks this season.
- Manny Malhotra in Vancouver to settle down in his new hometown.
Thank you for your participation.
Follow Joseph on Twitter.
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?