NHL Breeze: Aug.19, Morning Edition
To begin the day, I just want to wish a Happy Birthday to you!
Also Happy birthdays to:
- Taylor Pyatt, 29, Phoenix Coyotes
- Steve Ott, 28, Dallas Stars
- As well as NHL execs: Darryl Sutter, 52, Calgary Flames, Don Waddell, 52, Atlanta Thrashers
Today’s NHL news and notes:
- Steve Nash’s brother-in-law and Canucks newcomer Manny Malhotra said GM Mike Gillis and coach Alain Vigneault expects him to play both the wing and centre on the Canucks this season.
- Paul McCartney, the former Beatle enters the Consol Energy Center opening ceremony.
- Taylor Swift, the country music star, starred a Nashville Predators commercial last year. In case you missed it. Here on Predators NHL network.
- The National Hockey League is still investigating the 4 big long-term contracts. Just a scare, don’t worry.
- Vancouver Canucks are not keeping Kevin Bieksa according to Dobber’s hockey Jeff Angus. I agree with Angus’s assessments. Bieksa is going to play in another uniform sooner or later regardless of Salo, Mitchell or O’Brien’s status.
- Canucks young defenseman, Alex Edler, who hurt his ankle in the Chicago playoff series, stated, “"I had the cast on for five weeks and was on crutches for three, but after that it's been feeling good," he said. "No pain or anything."”
- Calgary Flames name Michel Goulet a professional scout for the west. Ari Haanpaa, Finland, and Fred Parker, Ottawa, also joins the Flames scouting staff. This team has disappointed in the draft over the years. It’s time to change.
- Bieksa for Niskanen rumours may be true, but Dallas Stars won’t trade the defenseman.
- NHL is studying some new possible rule changes and style of play that will enhance the on-ice product for the fans at a general meeting. NHL players are on the ice to show the guys how it appears live! New overtime, 4-on-4 for 3min, 3-on-3 for 3min, 2-on-2, shootout is tried out live.
- Fernando Pisano signs with Chicago Blackhawks $500 000, 1-year deal.
- St.Louis Blues signed forward Ben Guite to 1-year deal.
- Dallas GM Joe Nieuwendyk confident the Stars can re-sign James Neal soon.
- Dale Tallon publicly admits his interests in Antti Niemi: “Do I have interest in him? We have any player with his history, that is a champion. We’re open for business 24/7.”
- Andy Hilbert returns to the Islanders for 1-year, 2-way contract.
- Rob Hilsey also signs with the Islanders (1-year, 2-way).
- Burke, Tallon and Yzerman fans of the hybrid icing rule
- No news on Willie Mitchell or Mike Mottau today. These 2 are the only free agents remaining who averaged above 20:00 t.o.i. a night.
Thank you for your participation.
Follow Joseph on Twitter.