Everything Vancouver Canucks: Exclusive Interview with Todd Cordell
This is an exclusive interview with Bleacher Report’s own NHL hockey expert, Todd Cordell.
Let us see what he has for us on the Vancouver Canucks.
1. Hi Todd. Tell us what you are hearing regarding Kevin Bieksa in connection to the Tomas Kaberle trade rumours.
Now that Tomas Kaberle is off the market (he probably wouldn’t waive his NTC), Kevin Bieksa is now the best available defenseman. He was generating as much interest as Kaberle even yesterday, as some teams don’t want just an offensive defenseman. They want a tough, physical defenseman, and Bieksa is definitely all that. Whether he is dealt or not remains to be seen, but his value just went up.
2. What are your thoughts on Willie Mitchell and his status?
Willie Mitchell is generating a lot of interest right now, and it is really no surprise. Teams were scared away by his health, but he has looked very good in physicals. My best bet is that he ends up in LA, but Anaheim and Vancouver are very possible destinations.
3. We learned that the National Hockey League is looking further into the Roberto Luongo contract extension as well as those of Marc Savard, Marian Hossa, and Chris Pronger. Do you have anything we need to know about Luongo’s contract reviewing process?
The NHL isn’t taking this into strong consideration; they are just playing mind games and trying to send a message. Don’t expect anything to happen.
4. If the Canucks do trade Bieksa, will Mitchell come back to his hometown team?
That is a very tough question. It obviously has a better chance of happening, as they know for a fact that they have the roster spot for him, but I still think LA is the most likely destination.
5. Give us your take on Cody Hodgson, as you are from his backyard.
He is a very good two-way forward and is very strong on his feet. He reminds me a lot of Mike Richards. He doesn’t have that physical edge like Richards does just yet, but if he can get the right mindset, he could be a top-notch power forward who will mash up anyone in his sights.
His best quality, in my opinion, is his leadership. He is a leader both on and off the ice and has a huge presence in the dressing room.
I have seen the Brampton Battalion live with Cody Hodgson and without him, and let me tell you, the team is a lot different when he is not there. It is like the team is lost without him and they are searching to figure out their own identity.
Finally, thanks for your time Todd. We appreciate your contributions on Bleacher Report.
This interview was done by Joseph Trenton.
Follow Joseph on Twitter.
What is the duplicate article?
Why is this article offensive?
Where is this article plagiarized from?
Why is this article poorly edited?