Originally, I told myself I wouldn't write a Tomas Kaberle article until after August 14th. Unfortunately, I broke my promise, but for good reason.
With just over two hours until Tomas Kaberle's no movement clause activates, there has been a lot of action on the trade front. That is, as much action as you could have without actually trading him.
Here is a quick review of recent activity regarding Tomas Kaberle.
- Dallas Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk has confirmed that the Stars have pulled out of the Kaberle sweepstakes. It had been rumoured that Dallas had offered forward Mike Ribeiro, but that wasn't enough for Leafs GM Brian Burke. Ribeiro isn't a Burke type of player anyways, he lacks truculence and character.
- According to Todd Cordell's Twitter account, the Tampa Bay Lightning have an offer on the table centered around gritty forward Ryan Malone. This could be big, as it has been rumoured that Malone is the guy that Burke has been looking for. He's got truculence, talent, and puts up nice point totals. Then, the only problem is that he's got a no movement clause. You can follow Todd here.
UPDATE: According to Hockeybuzz writer Ken Beckett's Twitter, Malone has not yet been asked to waive his NMC. You can follow Ken here.
- Sources say that the Columbus Blue Jackets are out of the running. The Leafs and Jackets have had talks, but there is "no fit there."
- The Kings have focused their attention on signing free agent defender Willie Mitchell, so don't expect a trade with them involving Kabby.
- Darren Dreger's has tweeted that there is one team from each conference interested in Kaberle. We can assume the the Eastern team is Tampa Bay (see above rumours), but the Western team has yet to be determined. You can follow him here.
- Canucks defenseman Kevin Bieksa is attracting a lot of attention. He is a factor in the lack of Kaberle deals.
- San Jose, believed to be the most probable destination for Kaberle at one point, is said to have pulled out of the running as well. The Sharks are one of the teams that I mentioned who are interested in Bieksa. It had been reported that the Sharks had offered defenseman Derek Joslin and a first round pick to the Leafs for Kabby. Joslin is a talented prospect.
- Boston, Buffalo, Carolina are reported to be slightly interested in the Kaberle. Some even say that the Devils are still eyeballing the situation, but that seems unlikely with everything else that is going on.
- UPDATE: Half an hour until Kaberle's NTC kicks in. Lightning are believed to be the big players, most likely Malone's NMC is the biggest problem. Think Kabby will be traded? Answer in a comment below.
- UPDATE: Kaberle most likely a Leaf. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/436724-burkies-beliefs-kaberle-most-likely-a-leaf
- UPDATE: Kaberle remains a Leaf. Always the possibility of him waiving his NTC to play somewhere else, I can't imagine he'd like to continue playing in Toronto after all of this.
That is all the recent hockey buzz surrounding Kaberle. I will be updating this article if more information becomes available, so remember to keep checking back.
Recently started up a Twitter account, you can follow me at http://twitter.com/NHLKaelan.