New York Islander Fan Central has the following items to highlight its early Tuesday coverage:
- Newsday's Greg Logan reports Islanders captain Bill Guerin had major shoulder surgery in May, with new media relations VP Josh Bernstein's comments that it was performed to remove loose bodies and to repair the labrum with a timetable for recovery of four months. Garth Snow released a statement that the club is looking forward to having him at training camp in perfect health.
- Logan questioned the club's media policy with regard to injuries, claiming the organization announced the surgery only in response to an inquiry from Newsday but, less than two weeks ago, the club was forced to admit that goaltender Rick DiPietro was having knee surgery after he inadvertently announced it himself on a radio program. Logan also claimed club policy was cited as the reason for the Islanders' failure to inform the media and fans that two prominent stars were added to the list of injured players, but that, back in March, the team immediately announced Rick DiPietro needed hip surgery for the second straight season.
- NYI Fan Central fires back at Logan and speculates the beat writer is making issue of team policy with regard to injuries because current and former team officials were outspoken about another incorrect headline in Newsday. The publication claimed the Islanders were talking about bringing back Alexei Yashin, despite no comment from Snow or Islander management.
- NYI Fan Central also asks the question of why Logan is playing the fan card now regarding the need to know of injuries. NYIFC also wonders where he was when DiPietro got hurt in the skills competition at the All-Star weekend and did not do one single blog for fans from Jan. 24-29, when everyone wanted an injury update, and why we have seen nothing but infrequent articles from the Newsday beat writer since the season ended that seem designed to incite fan reaction but have hardly been accurate given the lack of quotes from pertinent sources?
- An update and interview with IIHF president René Fasel about the transfer agreement expiring, and what it means.
- Kyle Woodlief of Red Line Report in his mock draft predicting Mikkel Boedker as New York's selection.
- TSN projecting Nikita Filatov at No. 5 for Friday's draft.
- Former Islanders media relations VP Chris Botta with some thoughts in his "Point Blank" blog about Marc Gandler and a few choice words for the Newsday staff headline writers for misleading readers. A second blog comparing former Islanders coach Terry Simpson with new Sharks coach Todd McLellan and new Panthers coach Peter Deboer is also featured.
- Islanders media relations coordinator Corey Witt, in his NYI Media Blog, wonders how come Newsday buried its retraction about Alexei Yashin in the paper, but made it a top headline when it was announced?