The Hockey Spy adds to the run of playoff predictions out there in cyberspace, tossing you his 20 pesos worth. If you missed it, here is my Eastern Conference first round predictions. Read on for Western Conference coverage.
My colleague Greg Caggiano (G-Cagg) at The Hockey Writers has a great rundown in his version of playoff predictions.
The Two-Line Pass via Puck Daddy also has interesting take on the upcoming quest for Lord Stanley.
Let's now take a look at the Western Conference .
Western Conference (First Round):
- Goalies: Nabokov > Hiller/Giguere
- Defense: Dead Even (Sharks depth likely gives them slight edge)
- Forwards: Thornton, Marleau and all the depth >> Getzlaf, Perry and Ryan
* Fearless Prediction: Sharks in seven (But Ducks could surprise!)
- Goalies: Mason >>>Osgood/Conklin
- Defense: Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart et al >> Commodore et al
- Forwards: Datsyuk, Zetterberg and the clan > Nash, Huselius, Umberger, Vermette et al
*Fearless Prediction: Blue Jackets in seven! (It will take a monstrous Mason peroformance, but Wings might just be ripe for the picking.)
- Goalies: Luongo > Chris Mason
- Defense: Ohlund, Salo, Edler (Scandanavian trio) et al > Blues' Blueline (If only EJ wasn't hurt)
- Forwards: Sedins, Sundin (Swedish trio) et al > Backes, Berglund, Oshie et al (But give them a couple more years!)
*Fearless Prediction: Canucks in six (It was good while it lasted in St. Louis—they'll be better in the not so distant future)
- Goalies: Bulin Wall = Kipper (Khabibulin's mastery over the Flames likely gives Chi-town the edge)
- Defense: Keith, Seabrook, Campbell, Barker et al > Injury-riddled Regehr (out), Phaneuf (back), Sarich et al
- Forwards: Iginla, Jokinen, Cammallari = Patrick Kane, Toews, Havlat et al (Both squads deep and Flames should have boost from return of Rene Bourque)
* Fearless Prediction: Blackhawks in six.
Feel free to comment, criticize and post your own picks.
aka The Hockey Spy