On Nov. 7, Larry Brooks of the New York Post reported that amnesty buyouts are back on the table in the collective bargaining agreement discussions. If they are serious, there is a list of players, like Jay Bouwmeester and Scott Gomez, who should be worried―but they aren’t the only ones.
First, what exactly is the amnesty clause? If the discussions are leaning towards the NBA’s amnesty clause, here are some essential details (via USAtoday.com):
- Teams can waive a player and not have the salary count against the cap
- Player would still receive salary for the season
- Player, if waived, goes through the waiver process where teams can bid
- Salary is divided among new and old team
- If player clears waivers, can sign with any team.
How closely the NHL follows the NBA’s lead in the amnesty clause is unknown to those outside the CBA talks, but it places interesting targets on the back of some players. If the amnesty buyouts become a part of the new CBA, these 10 players should be worried.
All contract terms are provided by Capgeek.