Floyd Mayweather: Why Refusing Ortiz Rematch Means Next Fight Is Manny Pacquiao
Floyd Mayweather (42-0, 26 KOs) recently denied Victor Ortiz (29-3-2, 22 KOs) a requested rematch.
Instead he issued a challenge.
According to ESPN UK Mayweather told Ortiz, "I'll give Ortiz a rematch but first he got to get past Andre Berto."
Ortiz gave Berto (28-1, 22 KOs) his first loss earlier this year before being knocked out in the fourth round by Mayweather. With Mayweather axing the Ortiz rematch, could he be focusing on Pacquiao next?
Manny Pacquiao (53-3-2, 38 KOs) is the fighter everyone wants to see Mayweather face in the ring. Negotiations have failed previously over random drug testing, which Mayweather is a fan of and Pacquiao is not.
But now Pacquiao has stated that he'll take the random drug tests. Mayweather has also said in the early parts of the promotion of his battle with Ortiz that Pacquiao is next.
Many may have been skeptical of that statement, but Mayweather has denied Ortiz a rematch and has not mentioned a vacation or an opponent of choice.
Last time Mayweather went on "vacation" after his domination of Shane Mosley (46-7, 39 KOs), he actually mentioned it to the media and ignored little to all boxing questions.
Mayweather has changed since coming back to face Ortiz. He's more open and willing to answer any and all of the media's questions about boxing, especially those about Pacquiao.
In an article for ESPN UK, Steve Bunce wrote that Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer had told him, "Mayweather will fight three or four times within an 18-month period, and then that will be it. Schaefer swears we are going to see Mayweather v Amir Khan and Mayweather v Pacquiao."
Golden Boy helps promote many of Mayweather's fights, which makes Shcaefer's word credible.
If that is true, Pacquiao is very likely the next opponent. Khan (26-1, 18 KOs) has said he needs a fight at welterweight before facing Mayweather.
Currently he's still a junior welterweight scheduled to face his last opponent at the weight on December 10. Khan won't make his welterweight debut until March 2012.
Mayweather has promised in the media he will be more active and fight more often. Can we believe him? Based on the evidence from what he and Schaefer have shown and told us, yes.


.jpg)






