NFLNBAMLBNHLWNBASoccerGolf
Featured Video
They Control the NBA This Summer ✍️

Strikeforce: Fedor Emeliankeo Says He's Prepared for Dan Henderson

Mike HodgesJun 21, 2011

While he may appear to be down and out, Fedor Emelianeko will look to avoid a third consecutive loss as he prepares to compete against Dan Henderson at Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson July 29. 

At 34 years old, Emelianenko suffered the first two losses of his career against Fabricio Werdum and Antonio Silva. Following those losses, there was a growing consensus the Russian heavyweight would retire from MMA. 

In an interview with SBNation.com (courtesy of MMAMania.com), Emelianenko spoke about his decision to potentially depart from the sport, but he said he has other plans to avoid retirement for the time being.

TOP NEWS

Colts Jaguars Football
With Jayson Tatum sidelined, Celtics' fourth-quarter comeback falls short in Game 7 loss to 76ers

"I do not want to allow a third, which is why I thought about departing from the sport," he said.

"But then I discussed the situation with my coaches and spiritual father when I got home. After this I was absolutely sure that it is not the time for retirement, and I must continue to fight."

Once considered by many to be arguably the top pound-for-pound fighter in MMA, Emelianenko's status took a considerable hit following his loss to Werdum last year.

He had hoped to redeem himself and still retain some of the aura around him against Silva, but the Brazilian unexpectedly dominated for a majority of the fight and handed Emelianenko his second straight loss. 

For his upcoming bout against Henderson, Emelianenko decided to relocate his training camp outside of his homeland in hopes of benefiting himself and preventing another loss at the hands of the American.

"I've drawn conclusions on what areas of my training need work and what to pay attention to in training and in battle. This time I have trained in Holland, in Russia and again at the training camp in Holland," he said. 

Whatever the case may be, Emelianenko has put his trust in others for once to fully prepare for his upcoming bout. Although the transition might of been made a little late in his career, Emelianenko recognizes his upcoming task and is aware of the implications that lie ahead for him in the future. 

They Control the NBA This Summer ✍️

TOP NEWS

Colts Jaguars Football
With Jayson Tatum sidelined, Celtics' fourth-quarter comeback falls short in Game 7 loss to 76ers
DENVER NUGGETS VS GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS, NBA
Fox's "Special Forces" Red Carpet

TRENDING ON B/R