Despite bad publicity stemming from the string of court cases Floyd Mayweather, Jr is facing in the state of Nevada, the undefeated boxer remains as the most popular and most desired opponent of Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao next year.
After beating Mexican Antonio Margarito last November 13, Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum has started shortlisting Pacquiao's next opponents.
Top name in Arum's short list is still Floyd Mayweather, Jr. However, the veteran promoter said Mayweather may not be available next year primarily due to a possible conviction or court settlement which may prevent him from training for the big fight.
Mayweather will appear in a Nevada court on January 24 for the preliminary hearing of the cases he is facing in connection with a recent incident with his former girlfriend Josie Harris with whom he has three children.
Mayweather was briefly jailed last Septemeber on felony charges after his ex-girlfriend alleged he beat her and stole her cell phone during an argument in front of their three children.
Mayweather's lawyer, Richard Wright, denied Mayweather was guilty of the criminal charges based on allegations by Josie Harris.
Meanwhile, Floyd's uncle and trainer Roger Mayweather has to wait until January next year for his trial for felony charges stemming from his alleged attack on a female boxer last year at an apartment he owned.The trial has been postponed for the second time.
Roger Mayweather has pleaded not guilty to battery charges stemming from an August 2009 scuffle with 26-year-old Melissa St. Vil, an amateur boxer who was staying at his apartment.
St. Vil alleges Mayweather punched and choked her until she was nearly unconscious before police arrived at the apartment where she was staying in Las Vegas.
Roger Mayweather, who is free on $13,000 bail, risks a prison term of 10 years if found guilty as charged.
The fate of Floyd and Roger Mayweather with regards to their next fight hinges on the court's decision on January 24.
Boxing fans from across the globe have been urging Floyd Mayweather Jr to face Manny Pacquiao, now the world's only eight-division titleholder (eight wins in as many weight divisions) as a result of his recent victory over Mexican Antonio Margarito in the junior middleweight division.
Recent opinion polls show majority of those who participated in surveys still believe the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight will eventually happen.
Negotiations for the most desired fight of the year have fallen through at least twice in almost two years mainly because of Mayweather's demand for Manny Pacquiao to take a random drug test before he commits himself to face the Filipino champion.
In the second round of negotiation, Pacquiao has agreed to a 14-day drug testing window which was mutually agreed by the negotiating parties. But after Mayweather's recent win over Shane Mosley, he declined to talk about the random drug test issues.
When Pacquiao sought him for a fight in November, Mayweather has changed his stand on the 14-day drug testing window and instead demanded that the random test be done all the way to fight night.
And when Pacquiao said he was ready to accommodate Mayweather on his latest demand, the undefeated boxer said he is taking it easy and will no longer fight this year.
Despite Mayweather's unpredictable and continuing demands, boxing fans still look forward to the day when these two great fighters will face each other in the ring for a fight every one in the world wants to see.