There has been a lot of talk about the Los Angeles Lakers and their chances to repeat as NBA Champions this season. They came into this year with people thinking they could beat the Chicago Bulls' record by winning more than 72 games, making them seem invincible. Yet, with only nine games left in the regular season, the Lakers are sitting at 54-19, meaning even if they win all the remaining games, they could only be 63-19.
But why should you remain confident as Lakers fans, when it seems like this season hasn't yet been a success? (Even though the Lakers still sit comfortably as the No. 1 seed in the West and have the second best record in the NBA)
Here are five reasons why:
1. Phil Jackson wins Championships in 3-peats. The Zen Master has never won a Championship without winning two more after the first. Why does that matter? The Lakers won the Championship last year, and history tells us they will win it not only this year, but the year after.
2. The Lakers play in the Western Conference. Unlike the Cavaliers who play teams like the Raptors, Knicks, Nets, 76ers, and Pistons every night. The Lakers have to go up against teams like Denver, Dallas, Utah, and Phoenix. Right now, the ninth place team in the West would be a No. 6 seed in the East and only a game behind the No. 5 seed.
3. The Lakers have not been 100 percent once this season. The Lakers have caught the injury bug this season and there hasn't been a time where everyone on the roster has been healthy. Currently, Andrew Bynum and Luke Walton are out. Ron Artest jammed his ankle in the last game against Houston, and Kobe Bryant has been battling ankle and finger injuries all season long. (Kobe is currently playing with a dislocated and broken finger)
4. They're defending champions. They know what it takes to win it all, and how to get the job done. They have been to the Finals two straight years and know how it feels to win it all and to lose it. L.A. always turns it on towards this time of year, as if there is a switch in the locker room and they flip it up and become unbeatable.
5. There is a certain guy on the Lakers' roster named Kobe Bryant who just happens to be the best NBA player in the game today. Should anybody really be worried with a guy like Kobe on your team? The dude is a unbelievable when it comes down to the stretch of games, hitting seven game-winning shots this season. If it's a close one, Lakers fans never seem to worry because they know their guy will come through.
There are five reasons Lakers fans should be confident that we will repeat as champions come this June!