NFLNBANHLMLBWNBARoland-GarrosSoccer
Featured Video
Steelers got a LOT better this offseason
STRATFORD, ENGLAND - MARCH 06:  Antonio Conte, Manager of Chelsea celebrates after the full time whistle following victory in the Premier League match between West Ham United and Chelsea at London Stadium on March 6, 2017 in Stratford, England.  (Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images)
STRATFORD, ENGLAND - MARCH 06: Antonio Conte, Manager of Chelsea celebrates after the full time whistle following victory in the Premier League match between West Ham United and Chelsea at London Stadium on March 6, 2017 in Stratford, England. (Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images)Michael Regan/Getty Images

Chelsea Transfer News: Antonio Conte Wants Blues to Spend £200m on New Signings

Rob BlanchetteMar 12, 2017

Antonio Conte has told Chelsea he requires £200 million to buy new players if he is to sign a new deal to extend his stay at Stamford Bridge.

Duncan Castles of the Sunday Times (h/t James Whaling of the Mirror) reported the Italian coach—who is on the brink of capturing the Premier League title on his first attempt—will use the "demand" as a bargaining chip in fresh contract negotiations. Conte wants to take the Blues back to "Europe's top table" but requires huge funding to achieve his goal. The coach will not commit his future until owner Roman Abramovich agrees to his conditions.

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports

According to Castles, Diego Costa and Thibaut Courtois could leave the club at the end of the season, and Conte wants to see world-class replacements at his disposal. The Italian signed a three-year deal when he took the reins at the Bridge, but his phenomenal success has prompted the Chelsea board to discuss an extension.

LONDON, ENGLAND - FEBRUARY 19: Chelsea manager Antonio Conte with Carlo Cudicini during The Emirates FA Cup Fifth Round match between Fulham and Tottenham Hotspur at Craven Cottage on February 19, 2017 in London, England. (Photo by Catherine Ivill - AMA/G

Conte wants to add James Rodriguez of Real Madrid to his squad, but he will face serious competition from Bayern Munich as the pair battle with Manchester United for the Galactico's services.

Wally Downes Jr. of The Sun reported Bayern manager Carlo Ancelotti "is set to beat" Conte and United boss Jose Mourinho to the punch and is the favourite to capture the Colombian superstar.

James has also previously thanked Ancelotti for his guidance during their time together at Los Blancos, per Downes Jr.

"Thank you for everything," said James. "In a very short time, I learned a lot from you."

The player has been maligned on the sideline in recent months, but Squawka Football highlighted his productivity on the pitch:

Conte's early achievements at Chelsea have been undeniable, but the Blues must carry away the title after opening up a huge lead at the top of the division.

The club will once again be in the UEFA Champions League next term after a 12-month absence, and Conte is correct to highlight that he needs funds to improve the core of his team.

Costa has excelled as the lone striker, and even if he remains at Chelsea, the team lacks rounded firepower at the point of the attack.

James possesses the type of quality Conte will want to improve his options, but the Blues need a striker and a centre-back to add variety to the starting XI.

Steelers got a LOT better this offseason

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports
United States v Japan - International Friendly
FIFA World Cup 2026 Venues - New York New Jersey Stadium

TRENDING ON B/R