NFLNBAMLBNHLWNBASoccerGolf
Featured Video
They Control the NBA This Summer ✍️
RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL - AUGUST 12:  Ryan Lochte of the United States attends a press conference in the Main Press Center on Day 7 of the Rio Olympics on August 12, 2016 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.  (Photo by Matt Hazlett/Getty Images)
RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL - AUGUST 12: Ryan Lochte of the United States attends a press conference in the Main Press Center on Day 7 of the Rio Olympics on August 12, 2016 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. (Photo by Matt Hazlett/Getty Images)Matt Hazlett/Getty Images

Ryan Lochte Discusses Alleged Mugging at 2016 Olympics in 'Today' Interview

Tim DanielsAug 18, 2016

On Wednesday night during a conversation with NBC's Matt Lauer, American swimmer Ryan Lochte altered some details about an alleged mugging in Brazil during the 2016 Summer Olympics. However, he denied the entire story was made up.

According to A.J. Perez and Michael Singer of USA Today, Lochte told Lauer he and his teammates were at a gas station when they were approached and had not been pulled over, as originally reported.

"They had gone to the bathroom in a gas station," Lauer said. "They got back to the taxi, and when they told the taxi driver to go, he didn't move. They said, 'let's go' again, 'we've got to get out of here,' and again the taxi driver didn't move. And that's when he says two men approached the car with guns and badges."

TOP NEWS

Colts Jaguars Football
With Jayson Tatum sidelined, Celtics' fourth-quarter comeback falls short in Game 7 loss to 76ers

Lochte also told NBC a gun was pointed in his direction by one of the alleged robbers, but it wasn't pressed directly on his forehead. When asked about the inconsistencies in his story, Lochte denied there was some type of cover-up in progress.

Meanwhile, Marilia Brocchetto, Tim Hume and Claire Rigby of CNN reported two of Lochte's teammates, Gunnar Bentz and Jack Conger, were removed from a plane in Rio as they prepared to depart the country in order to face further questioning from authorities.

A Brazilian judge had issued a warrant earlier Wednesday to seize passports from Lochte and teammate James Feigen so they would remain available for further meetings with investigators, according to CNN. Lochte had already left the country, though.

The swimmers' story has been in question since Matt Roper, Ruth Styles, Ben Ashford and Chris Spargo of the Daily Mail reported X-ray scans in the Athletes' Village after the incident allegedly showed the men still had the possessions they claimed were stolen in the robbery.

The Daily Mail also posted a video of the swimmers' return to the village that day, which had a timestamp showing 6:56 a.m. local time. It's noted Lochte posted a video on social media from a nightclub at 2:25 a.m. local time. What happened in the more than four hours in between remains uncertain.

They Control the NBA This Summer ✍️

TOP NEWS

Colts Jaguars Football
With Jayson Tatum sidelined, Celtics' fourth-quarter comeback falls short in Game 7 loss to 76ers
DENVER NUGGETS VS GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS, NBA
Fox's "Special Forces" Red Carpet

TRENDING ON B/R