
Hakan Sukur Arrest Warrant Issued After Failed Turkish Military Coup
The Turkish government has reportedly issued an arrest warrant for former Galatasaray and Inter Milan striker Hakan Sukur in relation to the failed military coup that occurred on July 15.
According to Agence France-Presse (h/t Guardian), Sukur has been accused of “being a member of an armed terror group” that was behind the coup, which attempted to unseat president Recep Tayyip Erdogan last month.

TOP NEWS

Madrid Fines Players $590K 😲

'Mbappé Out' Petition Gaining Steam 😳

Star-Studded World Cup Ad 🤩
Sukur earned 115 caps for Turkey and made 301 appearances for Galatasaray before retiring from football in 2008, per Transfermarkt. However, his alleged move against Erdogan risks a potential jail sentence.
Sky Sports News reporter Kaveh Solhekol elaborated further on the offences for which Sukur's arrest warrant has been issued:
The Guardian's report also mentioned Sukur "risked a four-year jail sentence" after he took to Twitter in February to insult president Erdogan, which is strictly prohibited in Turkey.
The 44-year-old stood as one of Turkey's most celebrated stars during his playing days, and as well as being the national team's second-most capped player ever, he's also their top scorer, with 51 international goals to his name.
Patrick Galey of Agence France-Presse pointed out just how quickly things have changed for the ex-player in his native land following reports he was wanted for arrest:
Following his glittering European football career, Sukur delved into politics and was elected member of parliament for Erdogan’s ruling Justice and Development party in 2011, per the Guardian.
The Turkish government has said Fethullah Gulen, a preacher based in the United States, was behind July's attempted coup. Sukur resigned from his post as part of Erdogan's party in 2013, and instead opted to side with Gulen at the time.

Tom Michael of the Sun added that Sukur's father, Sermet Sukur, has been detained by the Sakarya prosecutor general’s office, and police "raided" the former international star's home in Istanbul.
Sukur now lives in the United States and is believed to currently be in America, yet to be apprehended, although Michael sourced Turkish media, which said an "Interpol Red Notice would be requested for extradition."






