Chelsea target Dani Carvajal won't be moving to China in 2016 after he lifted the lid on his reaction to speculation linking him with Guangzhou Evergrande, and the Blues remain interested in a January move for striker Moussa Konate.
Chinese broadcaster CCTV5 reported Carvajal could be part of a player-plus-cash swap deal for Guangzhou Evergrande's Zhang Linpeng, but the defender told Spanish newspaper AS his feelings on the move (via James Cambridge of the Daily Express):
I have read those reports and my first reaction was to laugh.
It's a funny story, but not true. This is my home and I'm very happy here. I hope Danilo recovers soon because he will bring many things to our side.
The manager trusts in me now and I am trying to respond to that confidence with good performances.
Despite being regarded as a steady performer for Los Blancos, Carvajal has moved down the Real Madrid pecking order following the summer arrival of Brazil international Danilo.
Carvajal has found chances in Rafa Benitez's starting XI after Danilo picked up an early injury this season, but the Spain international may yet consider his options if demoted to second choice in the long term.
Meanwhile, Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho is alleged to have found himself in the market for a new right-back following Branislav Ivanovic's stuttered start to the campaign, according to Italian outlet Tuttmercatoweb, per Cambridge.
Bleacher Report's Garry Hayes recently identified Ivanovic as the "weak link" in the Chelsea back line, with the Serb experiencing a sharp fall in his usually high standards so far this season:
As things stand, Chelsea possess the second-worst defence in the Premier League, having conceded 12 goals in their first six games, just one fewer than basement outfit Sunderland.
Carvajal could make for an easier winter target considering he isn't an automatic starter for Los Merengues, but the player would be cup-tied in the Champions League, ever an obstacle when conducting January business.
A Sunday People report recently quoted the player's agent, Antoine Issa Kossoko, proclaiming the Blues and the Gunners were indeed among those teams interested in his client, per Joe Short of the Daily Express:
Lots of English clubs are interested in Moussa. Chelsea and Arsenal scouts are keeping an eye on him – but he is not obsessed with the Premier League and will consider good offers from Germany, Spain or England. Hannover, Mainz and Bruges were keen on him this summer, offering up to £6m. But Sion said they would not sell for less than £10m.
Chelsea currently have a shortage up front after first-choice frontman Diego Costa was retrospectively handed a three-match ban for his bust-up with Arsenal's Gabriel Paulista last Saturday. However, this is only a short-term concern.
Mourinho will be forced to lean on reserve forwards Radamel Falcao and Loic Remy for now. Konate, meanwhile, may still be seen as a tempting option at a very affordable £10 million come the winter transfer window to further boost his attacking stock.
Chelsea's aforementioned striking trio have netted just two league goals between them this season, while 22-year-old Konate has netted seven in 12 appearances across all competitions this term.
That includes a match-winning brace against Rubin Kazan in the Europa League, per BBC Sport's Oluwashina Okeleji:
Senegal international Konate wouldn't be considered a starting option were he to arrive at Stamford Bridge—at least not straight away—but there is the feeling some change is needed in west London.
The Blues already boast a wealth of star forwards, but a cut-price move for Konate could give Mourinho a low-risk and potentially big-gain prospect to examine this winter.