NFLNBANHLMLBWNBARoland-GarrosSoccer
Featured Video
Mitchell Headed to 1st Conference Finals 🔥
Rutgers head coach Kyle Flood listens to a question as he addresses the media after his team defeated Norfolk State, 63-13 in an NCAA college football game Saturday, Sept. 5, 2015, in Piscataway, N.J. Leonte Carroo caught three third-quarter touchdown passes after sitting out a first-half suspension and set a school record as Rutgers overcame the distractions of an academic investigation involving coach Kyle Flood and the dismissal of five arrested players.  (AP Photo/Mel Evans)
Rutgers head coach Kyle Flood listens to a question as he addresses the media after his team defeated Norfolk State, 63-13 in an NCAA college football game Saturday, Sept. 5, 2015, in Piscataway, N.J. Leonte Carroo caught three third-quarter touchdown passes after sitting out a first-half suspension and set a school record as Rutgers overcame the distractions of an academic investigation involving coach Kyle Flood and the dismissal of five arrested players. (AP Photo/Mel Evans)Mel Evans/Associated Press

Former Rutgers Football Players Plead Not Guilty to Home Invasion Charges

Matt FitzgeraldSep 9, 2015

Two former Rutgers football players, defensive back Dre Boggs and wide receiver Tejay Johnson, pleaded not guilty to home invasion charges in New Brunswick, New Jersey, on Wednesday.

The Associated Press reported the news on 20-year-old Boggs, 23-year-old Johnson and another student, Jianan Chen, 19, who allegedly planned the robberies. Jim Donohue, Boggs' attorney, stated that the alleged victims were drug dealers, and he is also seeking to reduce his client's current $600,000 bail.

Assistant Middlesex County prosecutor Christopher Kuberiet claimed that knives, a hammer, a baseball bat and a revolver were used by the ex-football players to carry out the robberies. One of the victim's cellphones allegedly had Johnson's fingerprints on it.

TOP NEWS

Ohio State Team Doctor
2026 Florida Spring Football Game
College Football Playoff National Championship: Head Coaches News Conference

"These were brutal, violent and aggressive home invasions where people should be sacrosanct," said Kuberiet.

In all there were allegedly three home invasions and an attack on a 19-year-old student that left him with a broken jaw, per myCentralNewJersey.com's Ryan Dunleavy. Johnson is thought to be involved in all three home invasions, while Boggs is suspected in two of them.

According to the prosecution, per the AP, the players are also said to have taken photos of the crimes they committed and sent incriminating text messages.      

Boggs and Johnson are being charged with weapons offenses in addition to robbery and conspiracy. The Scarlet Knights dismissed those two along with three other players last week, all of whom were previously suspended.

Johnson's career was already cut short by injuries, but Boggs is a rising sophomore who made one start and appeared in 10 games last season.

Mitchell Headed to 1st Conference Finals 🔥

TOP NEWS

Ohio State Team Doctor
2026 Florida Spring Football Game
College Football Playoff National Championship: Head Coaches News Conference
COLLEGE FOOTBALL: JAN 01 College Football Playoff Quarterfinal at the Allstate Sugar Bowl Ole Miss vs Georgia

TRENDING ON B/R