NFLNBANHLMLBWNBARoland-GarrosSoccer
Featured Video
Pep's Legacy Another Level 😤
Brazil's soccer player Filipe Luis listens to a question during a press conference in Concepcion, Chile, Friday, June 26, 2015. Brazil will face Paraguay in a Copa America soccer match Saturday. (AP Photo/Silvia Izquierdo)
Brazil's soccer player Filipe Luis listens to a question during a press conference in Concepcion, Chile, Friday, June 26, 2015. Brazil will face Paraguay in a Copa America soccer match Saturday. (AP Photo/Silvia Izquierdo)Silvia Izquierdo/Associated Press

Chelsea Transfer News: Big-Money Deals in Jose Mourinho's Sights, Latest Rumours

James DudkoJul 25, 2015

Chelsea are holding up Filipe Luis' return to Atletico Madrid over more money. But while the Stamford Bridge club are preparing to lose one squad player, manager Jose Mourinho could be ready to go after Chile midfield ace Charles Aranguiz.

If Aranguiz might welcome that attention, Luis can't wait to leave. In fact, the Brazilian full-back has even reportedly undergone his medical at former club Atletico, only for Chelsea's fiscal demands to halt the deal, according to F.J. Diaz of AS.

Yet it seems as though the final stages of the process will actually be anything but smooth sailing now that the Blues have asked for more.

TOP NEWS

Chelsea v Manchester City - Emirates FA Cup Final

Grading Top Coach Decisions 💭

BRAZIL-COLOMBIA-MUSIC

Messi Stars in Shakira Vid 🤩

Albania v England - FIFA World Cup 2026 Qualifier

Sick England Squad Vid 🎶

Chelsea want more money before letting Luis return to Madrid.

Diaz details Chelsea's request, but he also states how Atleti's response can impact the Blues' own transfer plans:

"

However, late last night Chelsea approached Atleti again stating that they now wanted more money for the player over and above the 15 million euro fee that had previously been agreed between both sides from the opening stages of the negotiation. Atlético, conscious that Chelsea in turn are discussing a move for Baba Rahman from Bundesliga club, Augsburg as a replacement for Filipe, have said no to this late request citing that a fee had been ratified between both parties.

"

The connection between Felipe's exit and a deal to bring Baba Rahman to west London has been consistent during this transfer window. Recently, Simon Johnson of the London Evening Standard even reported how the Luis sale had been done and would clear the path for Rahman.

The Guardian's Ed Aarons has put Chelsea in pole position for the 21-year-old Augsburg star. But the Bundesliga club's chairman, Jonas Hoffman, recently told German publication Bild he doesn't need Chelsea's money (h/t Goal.com's Miles Chambers): "There's no need to even talk about an offer under €20 million, as I've previously stated."

That not-so subtle hint that Augsburg will indeed take Chelsea's money if it equates to the right offer could be why the Blues are pressing Atletico for more. Either way, quickly pushing through the sale of Luis is best for both the player and club.

He made just nine starts in the Premier League last term, according to WhoScored.com. Luis never seemed to settle away from Madrid although how much he struggled was still a surprise.

He remains a quality defender, tireless going forward and strong in the challenge. It's not unreasonable of Chelsea to ask for more money before giving up on a player who cost them £15.8 million just last summer.

Blues Keen on Aranguiz

Luis can't wait to get out of Stamford Bridge, but Mourinho may already be preparing to add a new face to his squad. The player in question is Chile star Charles Aranguiz.

Mourinho is reportedly keen on the shrewd 26-year-old midfielder, according to Italian outlet Tutto Mercato (h/t Telegraph Sport). The report states the Blues would have to battle Bundesliga side Bayer 04 Leverkusen for the midfielder's signature.

It also states how Aranguiz, who plays his club football for Brazilian outfit Internacional, "may struggle to get into Chelsea's starting XI given the wealth of talent at his disposal."

That's an understandable claim considering the players Mourinho can call on to thrive in the middle. Hulking Serbian defensive midfielder Nemanja Matic is a star, as is gifted former Arsenal and Barcelona schemer Cesc Fabregas.

Then there's young Brazilian Oscar. He's outrageously talented even though Chelsea have yet to really see the best of the stylish and dynamic 23-year-old.

Oscar's fellow Brazilian, Ramires, is also still around. Even bit-part holding player John Obi Mikel wants to stay with the Premier League champions, per talkSPORT.

Chelsea's Nigerian midfielder John Obi Mikel reacts during the English FA Cup third round football match between Chelsea and Watford at Stamford Bridge in London on January 4, 2015. AFP PHOTO / GLYN KIRK

RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE. No use with unauthori

The Blues clearly aren't lacking for talent and options in the middle. Yet top squads, even one as brilliantly balanced as Chelsea's, can always improve.

Aranguiz is a clever passer, hard worker and not shy about mixing it physically. His club boss recently claimed the player could soon be leaving Brazil, according to Pro Soccer Talk's Kyle Bonn: "I was told there was a possibility of it [an Aranguiz departure]. It is not definite yet."

While their rivals have done more to strengthen so far this summer, Chelsea remain the most balanced squad in England's top flight. That makes Mourinho's men a strong bet to retain the title.

Selling Luis won't damage those hopes, but signing Aranguiz would certainly help them.

Pep's Legacy Another Level 😤

TOP NEWS

Chelsea v Manchester City - Emirates FA Cup Final

Grading Top Coach Decisions 💭

BRAZIL-COLOMBIA-MUSIC

Messi Stars in Shakira Vid 🤩

Albania v England - FIFA World Cup 2026 Qualifier

Sick England Squad Vid 🎶

Lions Cowboys Football

Cowboys Stadium Gets Curtains

United States v Portugal - International Friendly

Predicting USMNT Roster 🔮

Report: MLB Vet Unretires After 1 Day
Bleacher Report12h

Report: MLB Vet Unretires After 1 Day

TRENDING ON B/R