
NCAA President Pushing for March Madness Expansion After Past Snubs 'Bummed Me Out'
NCAA president Charlie Baker was disappointed multiple teams he deemed worthy didn't make the 2024 NCAA men's basketball tournament, which contributed to his hope for an expanded field.
"One of the reasons I'm interested in expanding the tournament, although it comes with a lot of logistical complications and everything else, is, I do think there are teams that didn't make the tournament that should have," Baker said, per Ralph D. Russo of The Athletic. "And it bummed me out that they didn't get in."
TOP NEWS

NCAA Tournament Expansion Official 🚨
.png)
UConn's STACKED Schedule ☠️

Report: Biggest Spenders in Men's CBB 🤑
Russo noted Monday that Baker specifically highlighted the 2024 Big Dance in which St. John's and Indiana State did not make the field.
There were notable exemptions, as St. John's was competing in Rick Pitino's first season as head coach while Indiana State was seen as a dangerous mid-major program that could compete against high-quality competition. However, the 28-6 Sycamores did not win the Missouri Valley tournament and were left on the outside looking in come Selection Sunday.
"I've seen a bunch of stories about how there aren't any worthy schools that are left out," Baker said. "I don't believe that."
It seems like expansion is coming, although it won't be the first time.
While many fans think of the 64-team bracket when it comes to March Madness, the tournament expanded to 68 teams in 2011. That meant additional play-in games before the traditional first round with four different regions of 16 teams.
The tournament will still be 68 teams for the upcoming 2025-26 season, but Ross Dellenger of On 3 reported earlier this month that expanding to 76 teams by the 2026-27 season is "becoming closer to reality."
It remains to be seen exactly what the expanded field would look like, but the First Four round could expand to 24 teams with 12 automatic qualifiers and the 12 lowest-seeded at-large teams.
The winner of games in that round would advance to the Round of 64.
Baker isn't the only notable name in college sports who has recently publicly advocated for expansion. Big Ten commissioner Tony Petitti said the conference's conference coaches and athletic directors have "been supportive" of such an idea, per Kevin Sweeney of Sports Illustrated.
"I think part of the motivation for the NCAA is a recognition with these larger conferences, you're going to force teams to closer to .500 records in their conferences," Petitti said. "What access do they have? I think overall, with the system we have now with large conferences, more access is better."
At this point, expansion seems inevitable even if it won't be happening during the upcoming season.



.jpg)


