
Nebraska Football: Biggest Storylines so Far This Offseason
As Nebraska football’s spring practice winds on, a number of storylines have emerged. Given the hiring of new head coach Mike Riley and the installation of entirely new schemes on offense and defense, the flood of news certainly isn’t surprising. But there are a few storylines that really stand out as we work our way to the 2015 season.
Here are three of the biggest storylines that have emerged this offseason.
A Simpler Defense
Under Bo Pelini, Nebraska’s defense was famously difficult and challenging to learn. It appears that under new defensive coordinator Mark Banker, Nebraska’s defense will be far simpler. Junior safety Nate Gerry had this to say about the contrast in styles at a press conference before spring practice (transcript via Huskers.com):
"My first impression is that I’m really excited for it. It’s a lot simpler than it was. … That’s the thing [new defensive coordinator Mark Banker] wants us all to do, to be able to get to the ball faster and to stay loose. Last year we had a lot of people overthinking. Mentally we weren’t as sharp as we were maybe supposed to be.
"
Simpler doesn’t always mean better, of course. Derek Johnson’s noted on HuskerMax that Nebraska’s defense could struggle by insisting on remaining in a three-linebacker set.
But a simpler defensive scheme will, at the very least, mean that talented players are less likely to be kept off the field based on a lack of scheme knowledge. And that change in defensive philosophy might be the biggest one in Lincoln we’ve seen this offseason.

A Pro-Style Offense
When Riley first arrived, questions lingered over whether he would be importing his pro-style offense. Certainly, given what happened the last time Nebraska brought in a coach to revamp the offense, things didn’t go well. So many Nebraska fans wanted to downplay the likelihood of offensive upheaval.
And there is some cause for that reassurance. Riley has talked about the need to adapt the game plan to the talent available, per Steven M. Sipple of the Lincoln Journal Star.
"We have what we've done as coaches and we have a new skill set at quarterback almost all the way around," Riley said. "We are trying to blend the two as best we can together so we can help them be comfortable.
"This is not about what we (as coaches) want to do; this is about giving them (the players) the best tools to play fast and win games. It's kind of interesting, and kind of fun for us, too."
With that said, there is no doubt that Nebraska will run a pro-style offense under Riley. In a pre-spring press conference (transcript from Huskers.com), wide receiver Jordan Westerkamp said that Nebraska will have a “pro-style type of offense.”
In addition, quarterback Tommy Armstrong told Eric Olsen of The Associated Press that he was told by offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf that he would “not be a running back” and that his job as a quarterback would be to “sit in the pocket, deliver the ball when I can and make smart decisions.”
How does incorporating a pro-style offense mesh with using the talent available on the roster for Riley? That’s the fascinating question we will see answered in part during spring practice, and in full this autumn.
The Starting Quarterback Job Is up for Grabs
Yes, Riley has said that Armstrong’s experience is a benefit as he determines who will start next year at quarterback, per Steven M. Sipple of the Lincoln Journal Star. But that doesn’t mean he’s guaranteed to win the job.
Gerry DiNardo of the Big Ten Network is in the midst of touring spring practices from around the conference. Check out what he said about the quarterback races he’s seen so far.
"BTN Spring Practice Tour Stop 3 #Huskers 3rd stop in a row where QB decision isn't clear. NU UM Neb.
— Gerry DiNardo (@gerrydinardo) March 14, 2015"
A savvy outside observer says Nebraska’s quarterback decision “isn’t clear.” Add in the report from 247Sports that back spasms have been hampering Armstrong's performance and caused him to sit out Wednesday’s practice, and the recipe is certainly there for someone other than Armstrong to win the job.
I previously pegged Armstrong’s chances to be the 2015 starter at 50 percent. Looks like recent developments from spring camp make that number just about right.
For a different look at Nebraska football, check out The Double Extra Point.
Or you can use the Twitter machine to follow @DblExtraPoint.
.jpg)





.jpg)







