At least one 49ers starter has not left any doubt the quarterback that he says is the team's choice: Shaun Hill.
I will let that player's name remain unknown, as I don't really want to contribute to any team disunity.
But why Hill?
Because he exudes confidence, despite not being a particularly artistic passer. Who needs artistic? Especially when the myth of the Montana-led 49ers were a "finesse" team.
Yeah, ask Eric Dickerson and other running backs and receivers who had the snot knocked out of them by a ferocious 49ers defense.
Factor in the fact that after serious back surgery, Montana came back and won two Super Bowls, and nearly a third.
I'm ready for rough-and-tumbe oldtime 'Niner ball.
Back to Hill. Why him? Because he has won games when the other quarterbacks have mostly imploded. With the turnstile that keeps bringing successive waves of offensive coordinators through Santa Clara, has this been fair to Alex Smith?
But that doesn't change the reality about Hill being the players' favorite, if the player I heard is accurately reflecting the team's belief.
But why Hill?
- With Hill under or behind center, the 49ers will usually be in the game
- Hill has won more than lost
- Despite ugly duckling passes, Hill has not exhibited the turnover gene that we witnessed last season in that other guy.
- Hill can move the ball.
- He comes ready to play on Sundays
- A guy named Frank Gore will take the pressure off Hill
- A hopefully revitalized receiving corps and a rookie with a lot of promise might be able to snag more of those ducklings for gains and scores.