The Story of Matt Bush

Matt AnayaContributor IMay 7, 2009

DUNEDIN, FL - FEBRUARY 23:  Matt Bush #77 of the Toronto Blue Jays poses during photo day at the Bobby Mattick Training Center at Englebert Complex on February 23, 2009 in Dunedin, Florida.  (Photo by J. Meric/Getty Images)

Controversial former No. 1 pick Matt Bush was cut from his hometown San Diego Padres  to clear room for Cliff Floyd.

Although a pretty lame draft class, Bush was taken ahead of Justin Verlander, Jeremy Sowers, Homer Bailey, Jered Weaver, Billy Butler, Stephen Drew, Josh Fields, Glen Perkins, Phil Hughes, and Huston Street (like I said, a pretty crappy draft class).

Bush's professional career got off to a rough start.

Less than two weeks after being made the No. 1 pick, Bush was suspended by the club after being arrested on one felony and three misdemeanor charges outside a club near the Padres' training camp. According to Brent Schrotenboer of the San Diego Union Tribune, Bush was denied entrance to the club, jumped a railing to get in anyway and scuffled with a bouncer who tried to eject him (Ma'man).

After being suspended for a few weeks, Bush came back with a vengeance and hit a paltry .192 in the lowest levels of professional baseball.

In 2005, Bush played a full season for Ft. Wayne and hit a lowly .221.

Bush broke his ankle in 2006 and missed half the season. His 2007 campaign was proving futile at the plate and the Pads knew they screwed this pick up. According to Baseball America, a series of injuries diminished his shortstop range, leaving him with only one plus tool—a powerful right arm.

During the 2007 season the organization and Bush agreed to make Matt a reliever. The talent was there to pitch, as he would hit high 90s consistently, but a serious arm injury would knock Bush out until the 2009 season.

Idle hands are the devil's workshop

With nothing to do but rehab and get drunk, Bush was recently involved in an altercation at a local San Diego High School. According to the San Diego Tribune, El Cajon police were looking for Bush to investigate allegations he was involved in a drunken assault Wednesday involving boys' lacrosse players on the Granite Hills High campus.

This is the third run-in Bush has had with the Police since being drafted No. 1 in 2004.

Witnesses say Bush was drunk, threw freshman lacrosse player and hit another one, yelled, "I'm Matt Fuc*ing Bush," then drove over a curb in his swanky Mercedes and left the scene. Helluva exit.

And with that exit, there goes your career as a RHP for the San Diego Padres.

The Pads have 10 days to either trade or release Bush. I am guessing he will be released and picked up by an organization looking for an immensely talented 23 year old. (Again, everyday I wish I was an immensely talented 23 year old).

As of right now, this story has a sad ending. I can only hope and stay patient for Matt Bush, as he is only 23 years old.

(Author’s note: Bush was traded to the Toronto Blue Jays and subsequently released April 1, 2009 for violating the team’s "zero tolerance" behavioral code.)

slash iconYour sports. Delivered.

Enjoy our content? Join our newsletter to get the latest in sports news delivered straight to your inbox!