Yesterday we updated our fantasy rankings and here are some notes on quarterbacks and passing defenses heading into Week 9:
- For a seventh straight week, Redskins quarterback Donovan McNabb threw one (just one) touchdown. What was different, however, was that McNabb was benched for Rex Grossman for the two-minute drill of the game. The Redskins, who are on a bye in Week 9, say that McNabb will be the starter when the Redskins face the Eagles on Monday night in Week 10.
- The other five teams on bye this week are: Denver (Kyle Orton), Tennessee (Vince Young), St. Louis (Sam Bradford), San Francisco (Troy Smith) and Jacksonville (David Garrard).
- The Jets held Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers to 170 yards and no touchdowns in Week 8. That was Rodgers first game this season without a score and lowest yardage total. This week, the Packers face the Cowboys, who have allowed four passing touchdowns in each of their past two games.
- In his past two games (Patriots and Bills), Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco has thrown for five touchdowns and no interceptions. This week, he faces another AFC East team (Dolphins).
- Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger will make his tenth Monday Night Football appearance this week. In his previous nine MNF games, he has averaged only 169.3 yards per game and threw 13 touchdowns to nine interceptions.
- Speaking of Roethlisberger, he's the quarterback in our free fantasy football contest this week.
- The Bears defense has allowed a league-low four passing touchdowns while intercepting nine passes. In other words, it could be a long day for Buffalo's Ryan Fitzpatrick.
- Giants quarterback Eli Manning has thrown nine touchdowns in his past three games (against bad secondaries). This week, he faces Seattle, who has allowed the fourth-most passing yards (267.7 per game) in the NFL. But it's been a bend-but-don't-break defense allowing only eight passing touchdowns, which is tied for the fourth-fewest in the league.
Here are the top 10 fantasy quarterbacks for Week 9:
1. Peyton Manning, Colts (at PHI)
2. Aaron Rodgers, Packers (vs. DAL)
3. Philip Rivers, Chargers (at HOU)
4. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers (at CIN)
5. Drew Brees, Saints (at CAR)
6. Tom Brady, Patriots (at CLE)
7. Eli Manning, Giants (at SEA)
8. Joe Flacco, Ravens (vs. MIA)
9. Matt Ryan, Falcons (vs. TB)
10. Matt Schaub, Texans (vs. SD)
See our full top 25 quarterback rankings for Week 9.
Good luck in your Week 9 matchup(s) and in our Week 9 contest.