Every week I see power rankings and just wanted to do my own. However, I do mine a little differently. I use a system that ranks each teams based on their records, then rank those teams.
For example, I will rank all the teams that have two wins, then three, then for. Get it? Ok good.
With that being said this NFL season has been very unpredictable and exciting. It's still really early so try not to overreact.
32. Buffalo Bills (0-5) The Buffalo Bills are just awful. I kind of feel bad but they are the worst team in the NFL. They've been outscored by 74 points this year and I don't see their 1st win coming any time soon. The Bills feature the 2nd worst passing attack in the league and their going up against the best pass defense in the league this week. Oh by the way, Ed Reed makes his return to the Ravens this week.
Next game- at Baltimore Ravens (4-2)
31. Carolina Panthers (0-5) The Panthers are coming off a bye week, but the last time we saw them they lost to the Chicago Bears 23-6, at home, in a game that Todd Collins started for the Bears and threw 4 interceptions. The Jimmy Clausen era has begun and the John Fox era will soon be ending. It's going to be a long season for the Panthers, and they might contend for the number 1 overall pick in the 2011 NFL draft.
Next game- vs 49ers (1-5)
30. Detroit Lions (1-5) The Lions have talent, there's no question about that. I also feel bad about the amount of injuries that they've suffered this year. They've also lost a lot of close games and had some questionable calls from refs. The good thing about the Lions is their future still looks bright. Quarterback Matthew Stafford was injured but is set to return after the bye week. Maybe he can help turn the season around.
The Lions have a bye week
29. Cleveland Browns (1-5) Has the Colt McCoy era begun in Cleveland? Maybe. The Browns lost 28-10 to the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday. They kept the game close in the 1st half, but now Josh Cribbs is hurt and the season looks like it's going downhill fast. The Browns play hard and usually keep up with their opponents but they just don't have enough top-level talent. Peyton Hillis is a stud though.
Next game- at New Orleans
28. San Francisco 49ers (1-5) One of the most disappointing teams in the league this year, the 49ers finally got their 1st win of the year by defeating the Oakland Raiders 17-9. Funny thing is, the 49ers have a fairly easy schedule the rest of the way, and have the pleasure of playing in the NFC West, so they are still in the playoff hunt. It's going to be tough but I think they should ride the back of their best player, Frank Gore.
Next game- at Carolina
27. Dallas Cowboys (1-4) The thing about the Cowboys-Vikings game was someone had to loose, unless they tied. Unfortunately for the Cowboys, they were on the losing side. Let's face it, the Cowboys have too much talent to be on this page. 1-4 is very unacceptable for this roster and there is plenty of blame to go around. Wade Phillips will get most of the blame, but how about offensive coordinator Jason Garrett? The Cowboys are throwing the ball way too much. Also, Tony Romo is supposed to be an elite, top-5 quarterback. At least that's what I keep hearing. However, he's turned the ball over multiple times in late game situations this year. That's not what elite qb's are supposed to do. The Cowboys have another tough game this week, as they play the New York Giants on Monday night.
Next game- vs NY Giants
26. Oakland Raiders (2-4) The Raiders have been very competitive this year, losing by 1, 7, and 8 points. All one score games. unfortunately this isn't hose shoes. The Raiders still don't have a playoff caliber team and I'm wondering if they ever will again under Al Davis. I think Tom Cable is actually a decent coach, given that he doesn't have a franchise quarterback, and a crazy man as an owner. Tight end Zach Miller is a stud and the Raiders are just a few pieces from having a playoff caliber team.
Next game- at Denver
25. San Diego Chargers (2-4) What a terrible season to be a Chargers fan. Off the field issues, on the field issues. Hasn't this fan base suffered enough? Now Antonio Gates and Malcolm Floyd are injured. Losing to the Rams and Raiders in back to back weeks is truly unacceptable. I need better play from Philip Rivers, who's supposed to be an elite qb in this league. The Chargers still have enough talent to make a run at a division title but they have to start winning now.
Next game- vs New England
24. Cincinnati Benglas (2-3) It seems like it was just yesterday when Carson Palmer was being deemed as the next great quarterback in the league. That's the irony because he seems to be the key player holding this team back from being a playoff team. That being said, a win this week will have the Bengals right back in the wild-card hunt, but I don't see them winning the division this year with the Ravens and Steelers in it.
Next game- at Atlanta
23. Denver Broncos (2-4) The Broncos are 2-4 but they are a decent team. They should have beaten the Jets and played a very good game against a good team. I just don't think the Broncos have "it". Whatever "it" is, the Broncos don't have it. A few players here or there on this team and they could be really good. I'm also impressed with Kyle Orton. He has been making some really impressive throws and he's not throwing to Jerry Rice. Even though Brandon Lloyd and Jabar Gaffney both look like they've saved their careers.
Next game- vs Oakland
22. Minnesota Vikings (2-3) Arguably the most talented team in the NFC, the Vikings won the "desperation bowl" against the Dallas Cowboys in a must win game. The Vikings schedule is brutal, but if they play to their capabilities then they could end up winning the NFC North despite the poor start. I need to see more from Jared Allen and Adrian Peterson. Also, I'm interested to see how the Favre saga turns out.
Next game- at Green Bay
21. Jacksonville Jaguars (3-3) When they beat the Colts, I almost got tricked into believing in this team. Then I watched the Monday Night Football game last night and saw them as what they are, frauds. Maurice Jones-Drew is their only real play-maker on offense and now David Garrard suffered a concussion. Maybe, Trent Edwards can keep the season a float?
Next game- at Kansas City
20. St. Louis Rams (3-3) I gotta be honest. I didn't see the Rams beating the Chargers last week. If you did, then congrats. Sam Bradford looks like he's going to be at worst, a decent starting qb in this league. The defense is making plays and looks very much improved. I don't think they're going to win the division but six or seven wins would be a really big step in the right direction. The one guy I feel good for is Steven Jackson, who is one of the most talented players in the league. He deserves to be on a good team.
Next game- at Tampa Bay
19. Green Bay Packers (3-3) What a mess. Injuries are taking this very talented team hostage. The Packers were one of the most popular picks to represent the NFC conference in the Super Bowl this year. Right now, they'll be lucky if they make the playoffs. Aaron Rodgers is going to half to play like a Hall of Fame qb the rest of the year in order for that to happen. The Packers schedule also gets really difficult and they refuse to try and run the ball. I just don't know if it's going to happen. I've also been disappointing in their play in situational football.
Next game- vs Minnesota
18. Washington Redskins (3-3) The Redskins are one of the most improved teams in the league, part of that has to do with a improved offensive line, part of it is Head Coach Mike Shanahan, part of it is Donovan McNabb. That being said, their schedule is brutal and they can't afford to lose games against inferior teams(St.Louis Rams). The running game is awful and so is their pass defense, which is wierd because their secondary is extremely talented. Unless they can get on a little streak, I think the Redskins are destined to be 8-8.
Next game- at Chicago
17. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (3-2) Even though I was impressed with their win in Cincinnati, the Bucs have had chances to show that they're for real by taking on the Steelers and Saints, and got blown out in both games. The Bucs are what they are, a middle of a pack team that should win 7 or 8 games this year. Josh Freeman looks like he's going to be a good quarterback, and there's a lot to be excited about for the future of this franchise. I just don't see it happening this year. I think the Bucs start coming back to life in the next few weeks.
next game vs St.Louis
16. Arizona Cardinals (3-2) Has the Max Hall era begun in Arizona? I think the jury is still out on that. However, the last time we saw the Cardinals they had defeated the defending champs. The Cards also have the pleasure of playing in a weak division, which they are very capable of winning. However, they are in the bottom five in pass and rush offense, and run defense. They've also been outscored by 50 points on the season. I think we'll learn a lot this week when they play division rival Seattle.
next game at Seattle
15. Seattle Seahawks (3-2) Another inconsistent team that really doesn't impress you. Well besides their 2nd overall run defense. That's pretty impressive. The Seahawks are the definition of a Jeckell and Hyde NFL team. They lose to the Rams 20-3 and then defeat a 4-1 Bears team in Chicago. The Sehawks could start to try and run away with the NFC West if they can defeat the Cardinals this week.
Next game vs Arizona
14. Miami Dolphins (3-2) The Dolphins went in to one of the toughest places to play and defeated the Green Bay Packers. The Dolphins are 3-0 on the road this year but have yet to win at home. I don't think that will change this week either as they take on the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Dolphins are a good team but I don't see them making the playoffs. I'm thinking 8-8 is calling their name.
Next game vs Pittsburgh
13. Kansas City Chiefs (3-2) It seems like it was a long time ago when the Chiefs had the best record in the NFL. After a 3-0 start, the Chiefs have lost back to back games. However, I think they're a good team and I think they'll win the AFC West this year. I love the running attack of Thomas Jones and Jamaal Charles and Brandon Flowers is an elite cornerback. I also thought the Chiefs outplayed the Texans despite losing 35-31. I like the Chiefs to rebound this week as they have a home game against the Jaguars.
Next game vs Jacksonville
12. Chicago Bears (4-2) The Bears have got themselves in good position thanks to a 4-1 start. However, the wheels look like they're about to come off. Jay Cutler is going to end up on the I.R. if they don't fix their offense. My suggestion, run the ball. Matt Forte is a very talented back. Run the ball 30 times a game at least. The Bears rank just 26th in league in run offense and if that doesn't improve this team will have a very horrible 2nd half.
Next game vs Washington
11. Atlanta Falcons(4-2) Contenders or pretenders? That's what we're gonna find out very fast about the Falcons. They beat the Saints but got blown out by the Eagles. Their pass defense ranks just 25th in the league. Matt Ryan needs to play at a higher level if he wants to be considered an elite quarterback. The Falcons need to run the ball more to take pressure off of their defense and quarterback. Michael Turner is one of the better back in the league.
Next game vs Cincinnati
10. Houston Texans (4-2) The Texans are the only team in the top 12 that has been outscored on the year. The also feature the very worse pass defense in the league. That being said, they're very talented and are starting to learn to find ways to win games. If they continue to be able to have a very good and balanced offense, and if their defense can be average, this team might end up being a contender. That's a lot of if's though.
9. Tennessee Titans (4-2) The Titans are having problems throwing the ball (29th in the league) and defending the pass (23rd) in the league. That being said, Chris Johnson is arguably the best player (non-qb) in the league and they should just ride him to the playoffs. Their no-name defense is very good against the run and continue to put teams in 3rd in long situations. Vince Young got hurt against the Jaguars but Kerry Collins is one of the better backups in the league and is very capable of taking this team to the playoffs.
Next game vs Philadelphia
8. Philadelphia Eagles (4-2) What a great problem the Eagles have. Michael Vick or Kevin Kolb? Does it matter? Both quarterbacks are very capable of taking this team to the playoffs this year. The Eagles have also surprised people by having the 8th best rushing attack in the league, partly due to Vick. The schedule is tough but if the Eagles can continue to make big plays, they should at least get a wild-card. DeSean Jackson's health is a big concern.
Next game at Tennessee
7. Indianapolis Colts (4-2) Peyton Manning is having a monster year, and the Colts played well by winning a big road game against the Redskins. That being said, losing in Jacksonville is not impressive and it's going to be tough to win 12 games for the 7th straight year. The Colts are also very vulnerable on the run again this year, which does not bold well against teams like the Texans, Jets, and Titans. However, with Peyton Manning at the helm, the Colts are always serious contenders.
6. New York Giants (4-2) The Giants 28-20 win over the Detroit Lions was not impressive enough to put them in the top 5. That being said, I'm really impressed by them for turning which seemed to be a disaster of a season around this year. The Giants are in the top 10 in passing offense, rushing offense, passing defense, and rushing defense. That's impressive. The schedule gets tougher very soon, including a Monday night game in Dallas. However, I think the Giants are the team to be in the AFC East.
Next game at Dallas
5. New Orleans Saints (4-2) Defending a championship is tough, isn't it? Week in and week out opposing teams give the Saints their best shot. After losing the Arizona Cardinals, the Saints rebounded by blowing out Tampa Bay 31-6. Who is Chris Ivory? He's a rookie from Tiffin University that ran for 151 yards in Tampa Bay. If the Saints can run the ball consistently, they'll be tough to stop.
One thing they need to improve is their 21st ranked rushing defense. If teams can run the ball on the Saints and keep their high-powered offense off the field, the Saints will be very vulnerable. The Saints are also not getting the big plays and key turnovers that they were getting last year.
That being said they are still the defending champs and deserve to be in the top 5. They should win again this week as they take on the Browns.
Next game vs Cleveland
4. Baltimore Ravens (4-2) The Ravens are a very good team. Joe Flacco is playing well and this team is a serious contender. That being said, they shouldn't have lost to the Patriots. They had outplayed New England and I'm not sure what it says about the Ravens character. The Ravens won a close game against their arch rival, the Pittsburgh Steelers in Pittsburgh, but Ben Roethlisberger didn't play. I think we will learn a lot more from the 2nd meaning between those two teams.
I'd like to see the Ravens commit to the run a lot more. Flacco is good but I don't think you want him throwing the ball 30 times a game. Ray Rice is very good and should be getting over 20 touches every game.
The surprise of the season is the Ravens pass defense (3rd in the league) has been better then their run defense( 13th in the league). Ed Reed also makes his return to the team this week and should offer them some big plays in the secondary.
Next game vs Buffalo
3. New England Patriots (4-1) Do I really think the New England Patriots are the 3rd best team in the NFL? No. That being said they're 4-1 and their only loss was a road game against a very good Jets team. They got rid of the best deep threat to ever play the game, Randy Moss, and they still managed to win a game against one of the best defenses in the league. Which just goes to show you that you can never count Tom Brady and Bill Belichick out.
The Patriots take on the San Diego Chargers this week and if they win that game, they'll be 5-1. Belichick is arguably the coach of the year so far. I also really like the addition of Dion Branch.
I'm still not sold on their defense, especially their young and unproven secondary.
I'm also not impressed with Brady's temper tantrum that he threw on Sunday after getting hit by Haloti Ngata, which can seen here
Next game at San Diego
New York Jets (5-1) Let's face it, this team isn't going away. Despite all their trash talk, all the hype, the New York Jets have lived up to everything that was said about them in the off-season, so far. The Jets have won 5 straight games, including wins against the Patriots and Vikings. Not that the Jets being 5-1 The real surprise is the play of 2nd year quarterback Mark Sanchez and the play of LaDainian Tomlinson.
Sanchez has thrown 9 touchdowns and just 2 interceptions this year. His only flaw seems to be his inconsistent accuracy, only completing 55% of his passes. Tomlinson, who splits carries with Shonn Greene has been impressive, averaging 5.3 yards per carry. The Jets also feature one of the best offensive lines in the league.
The Jets aren't going away, and I can't wait for them to play the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Jets are serious Super Bowl contenders.
1. Pittsburgh Steelers (4-1) He's back! Ben Roethlisberger made his season debut this past Sunday after serving his 4 game suspension. Roethlisberger was rusty but still managed to throw 3 touchdowns and had a qb rating of 112.7. Now with Roethlisberger, the Steelers have a very good, and balanced offense.
The running game is improved, and Rashard Mendenhall has looked very good so far. Now with Ben back, he won't have to carry the ball 30 times a game. The offensive line is also a lot better, thanks to rookie center Maurkince Pouncey, and free-agent tackle Flozell Adams.
The only real flaw with the Steelers is their pass defense. If you can pick up the blitz, you should be able to complete passes. The Steelers especially have trouble defending no-huddle offenses.
Bottom line: With Roethlisberger back, the Steelers are now the most complete team in the league. They still have a lot of players that were key parts in the Steelers winning 2 Super Bowls in the last 5 years.
Next game at Miami
If you would like to read more of my work you can visit my blog, www.412sportstalk.net and/or follow me on Twitter. www.twitter.com/madchad1187